General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake squeal on 09' RR supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 05:22 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake squeal on 09' RR supercharged

Has anyone experienced excessive brake squeal???
Know of any existing remedies to the issue???

I have a 2009 Full size RR supercharged w/factory Brembo's in front.

any clues????

i only have 13k miles and it is AnnOYinG as all get out!!!! help please!

Old 03-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you taken it in for inspection? Sometimes brakes will squeak when they are brand new to help them wear to the rotor better. Another possibility, your brakes might actually need to be replaced even after only 13k miles.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:20 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by LRScott
Have you taken it in for inspection? Sometimes brakes will squeak when they are brand new to help them wear to the rotor better. Another possibility, your brakes might actually need to be replaced even after only 13k miles.

I have, infact i was asked to bring back in order for them to check again. they changed my front rotors and pads and they still squeak. it does not appear to be a pervasive issue in 09's as it was in 2010's...

Old 03-31-2011, 09:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben09
I have, infact i was asked to bring back in order for them to check again. they changed my front rotors and pads and they still squeak. it does not appear to be a pervasive issue in 09's as it was in 2010's...
06' SC w/ Brembo's. Quiet as a mouse.

They changed the rotor and pads...and they still squeak!? Either they didn't replace what they said the did or you need new pads. Just saying. Yes, you read that correctly. They probably didn't bother changing your rotors and pads, that would be an absorbent amount for the dealership, with hopes they would quiet down in time after returning your truck.

Eye ball the pads - is there meat on the pads? Do the rotors look brand new?

Another thought, after market pads tend to make more noise then factory OEM.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:06 AM
Drifting

Sometimes my Brembos squal just a bit if I stop from a crawl--i.e. below 5mph. I have 34,000 miles and have had no replacement yet.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The brembos on our Jag are silent unless you romp on them really hard. You could take your rover to a tire shop for a second opinion, or a trusted mechanic.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:08 AM
3rd Gear

Land Rover service indicated they need to cut the NEW rotors and Alter the front brake pads. I asked them to document this info and i was told by a Land Rover Representative that is at the dealership that he could not do that...WTF!!!!

I refuse to give them my vehcile w/out proper documentation. I have a grt vehicle w/a simple problem that LandRover appears to want to remedy under secrecy.

RIDICULOUS!

thank you all for your comments and shared experiences...

Old 12-07-2011, 05:06 PM
2nd Gear

Ben09, the wife and I have a full sized '08 RR SC and have the same brake squeaking issue since the car was practically new. We've taken it in multiple times to the dealer, who makes motions that something is being done, only to have the problem perpetuate. We had the brake pads replaced during a service last year, which they told us should cure the problem, but the squeak is as pronounced as ever. We contacted corporate to address the issue. They established a reference number and told us to take the car in. We just called a new dealership near our home to do so and were confronted with a combative service rep, and complaints to his manager were met with only slightly more courteous overtures, but at least we have an appointment. I will post as soon as there is some feedback or correctional work carried out on the truck. If it is the same creative repair that was recommended to you, I think I'll immediately sue LR rather than play some endless game.

What is going on with Land Rover? Please update the forum on where things stand with your brake problem.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Get over it! it's a fact of life ...just like having to take a sh*t every day is.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:05 PM
2nd Gear

Constructive input, Mike. However, when one pays $100,000 for a luxury SUV, it is natural and reasonable to expect that it offer commensurate comfort and elegance. It's not a matter to "get over," but rather to be rectified with consideration and professionalism by the manufacturer. There's zero reason why our RR should squeak at every stop like a 35 year-old rusted out Plymouth when the $10K Kia braking in the next lane is completely silent.

Come to think of it, you sound an awful lot like the service "professional" that discussed the matter over the telephone with my wife. I can't wait to meet you.