General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a/c not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c not engaging

what i know is that i have charged the system so there is gas in the system
about 3 cans 36oz to be frank give or take a lil i can straight wire the compressor and it will work the condensor fans turn but not fast as they can as long as im moving everything is fine but when i stop for a bit the truck will start to over heat only when the a/c is running i notice today when i went to disconect the straight wire the fans would kick in to high for a quick second and then cut off? with the a/c clutch now of course i dont want to straight wire it can anybody point me in the right direction? could the dual pressure switch be the problem here...im roasting in my truck and my windows dont roll down..help

Last edited by sickvehicle; 07-13-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:43 AM
Rock Crawling

I went through this with my RR. I printed out the climate control diagram, and the climate control ecu harness diagram. Also, carefully read the description of the climate control. These are all available on the Rave CD. If, you don't have it, you should buy it. It is not expensive. Of course, there are the basic checks you can make such as volts to the clutch, relays, pressure switch, etc. Do you have voltage to the clutch? On my vehicle, I had to wire in a relay to power the clutch. First check to see if you have voltage to the clutch.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Rock Crawling

There are many sites that you can download RAVE for free. Just google it.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the issue that the a/c is not working or is the issue that the aux fans are not working on high?

If the a/c clutch will not engage then there may be a leak or a voltage issue. If it is the aux fans then it probably just the pressure switch.

I am not sure one is the issue from your post.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:14 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by wilson96rr
I went through this with my RR. I printed out the climate control diagram, and the climate control ecu harness diagram. Also, carefully read the description of the climate control. These are all available on the Rave CD. If, you don't have it, you should buy it. It is not expensive. Of course, there are the basic checks you can make such as volts to the clutch, relays, pressure switch, etc. Do you have voltage to the clutch? On my vehicle, I had to wire in a relay to power the clutch. First check to see if you have voltage to the clutch.
no power to clutch

Old 07-15-2010, 01:32 AM
Three Wheeling

hey guys what i have figured out so far is this i think its the pressure in the lines now i thought there wer about 3 cans in here what i did was let out all gas in system and it look like it was less than two in there but the crazy thing is.. it was so much air coming out after the gas that it took about 4-5 minutes for just the air (not gas air )to come out now i know thats to much pressure in the system just on air and these trucks pressure swicth protects against high and low pressure in the system right ? which could keep the a/c from kicking in i never checked to see what was in there before i added gas to it yeah i know...but i got the truck like this anyway i know it should of not taken that long for air to come out by the way i just hooked a a/c charging hose to the line with out a can and let go... just so i could see what was in there so tommorrow i will evacuate the system and refill and hope it works..it makes sense now that all that air created more pressure in system to keep the a/c from engaging i think? im going on a road trip to phillie tommorrow so i hope it works how long should the compressor run anyway like threw cycles i mean 20- 30 seconds off and on ? thanks for ur help and i have rave still tryin to figure it out tho..

Old 07-15-2010, 05:02 AM
Rock Crawling

Did you try jumping over the pressure switch?

Old 07-15-2010, 07:46 AM
Three Wheeling
Default a/c

no i did'nt only thing i did was jump the clutch direct to battery how u jump over switch? anyway

Old 07-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Rock Crawling

It is just a single pole switch. Remove the wires from it and touch them together. See if the clutch gets any power.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:22 AM
Three Wheeling
Default a/c

i jumped the yellow and black wire on the switch according to the rave manual which is sapose to the one that receives the power input from the ecm and it would jump on i evacuated and refilled with 36oz of gas and 3oz oil still nuthing
from what i see i think the ecm is not sending the power to the tri pressure swicth and the test book icon is on the air temp control screen..so off to the dealer i guess well atlease my new switch pack came today and now i can roll my windows and sunroof open...

Quick Reply: a/c not engaging