General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold weather interior noise - how much is normal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 05:05 PM
CBK
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold weather interior noise - how much is normal?

Hey All,

Bought a used 2007 Range Rover Supercharged. Under 50,000km and it's really in immaculate condition on the exterior/interior and the drive train seems solid.

Just one thing that gives me concern though... interior noise! When I took it for a test drive the weather was warm enough outside... about 10 Celsius. Everything seemed pretty quick.

Have had the vehicle for almost a week now, and the weather has been colder... a few degrees below freezing, and now I notice tons of little interior noises when I'm driving. It's not any sort of constant rubbing or grinding... the noises come sort of from all over the place. Windshield, dashboard, glove box, somewhere in the back, center console, etc. It almost feels like the materials are just making "expansion" noises as the interior warms up. I can be at a stop light and I'll still get the noises at random, or while driving. The fit and finish "look" great... but it feels almost like something is just too tightly fit in there so there's always some pressure moving around and getting released as sounds.

I know I know.. probably not the greatest description, so hopefully somebody here can identify with what I'm saying. I can live with the sounds and am hoping as the weather warms up outside they go away. But I'm at least curious to know if this is a normal type of experience with a Range Rover? Would have been like this from factory or does four years of age start to shrink the interiors and you get some noise? Kind of cheapens what is an expensive ride, so I'm really curious to find out.

Thanks!

Old 04-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rattling is common on most cars. All of our cars rattle in some specific cirumstance. Our Jag rattles when the wind hits it just right. The RR rattles on specific roads and makes different noises in differen temperatures. Unless its a massive rattle, I would not be to concerned about it. I usually have the A/C and radio on and don't notice it. That and I am just used to them I guess. Everything I operate rattles . Especially aircraft.

If you have a bunch of time on your hands. You might be able to pin point the rattles by putting some cloth/soft velcro tape on the corners of the objects you suspect are the cause of the rattles. Personally, unless its severe, I wouldn't waste my time. Its sort of like the game "wack a mole" you fix one rattle and another pops up lol.

Last edited by LRScott; 04-02-2011 at 10:21 PM.