General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

constant reprogramming of 2000 range rover

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 11:19 AM
vrs
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default constant reprogramming of 2000 range rover

I do not use my Rover very often and it seems that every time I go to drive it, it needs to be reprogrammed. This time the alarm is set, but the keys will not disarm it or start the vehicle. It says something like ignition lock. Is there anything that can fix this, before I have it towed to the dealer, Again!!

Thank you for any suggestions

Old 10-14-2008, 10:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: constant reprogramming of 2000 range rover

What do you mean by reprogrammed? What is the exact message? Put the key in the door cylinder and cycle key 1 to the right, then 5 to the left, 1 to the right, 5 to the left then remove the key and push the lock or unlock button. Does it lock and unlock with the key now? Try starting, will it start now?

Old 10-19-2008, 03:51 PM
vrs
5th Gear

vehicle still does not start and remotes will not disarm alarm or auto open doors. When I hook up, battery alarm arms itself, goes off for about 30 secs when I open door, goes off again when I try to start vehicle, vehicle will not start and dash says that all the windows need to be set and "engine disabled" Press remote" I press remote, but nothing happens.

Is there any way to remove the whole alarm security system? I cannot keep paying to have this thing towed and my neighbors are starting to laugh.

Thanks for help

Old 10-20-2008, 09:48 PM
Rock Crawling

The windows not set and engine disabled press remote messages are due to disconnecting the battery. In case I was wrong about the first post it is 1 to lock, 5 to unlock, 1 to lock, 5 to unlock. Just curious, when you push the remote buttons, does the LED blink? These systems can be kind of hard to diagnose. When you use the key in the door to lock/unlock the vehicle, do the other doors lock/unlock?

Old 10-23-2008, 10:41 AM
vrs
5th Gear

Battery went dead while alarm was set. The red led lights do show when I prees button. I went both ways on yor suggestion once starting to the right and when that did not help I tried it starting to the left. When I use manual key to unlock door, the other doors do not unlock.
Thanks for help

Old 10-24-2008, 02:15 AM
Rock Crawling

Sounds like you might have a bad driver's door latch. If I remember correctly, there is an upgraded latch with a new link harness that is supposed to correct certain issues related to the alarm system. Check the fuses, too. Enter the vehicle and lock all the doors, try unlocking using the passenger door lock rod, all doors should unlock. If all doors lock/unlock with the passenger door lock, then you probably have a bad driver's door latch.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:12 PM
vrs
5th Gear

Tried to unlock all doors by using the passenger door hand lock. It did not unlock the other doors, and it did not even unlock the passenger door. I can not enter or exit the vehicle by any other door than drivers. I checked fuses under the hood and all seems to be ok, but cannot check fuses inside vehicle on passenger side (cannot open passenger dooor)

Summary
Vehicle alarm is active. When I manually open drivers door alarm goes off approx 30 seconds. Insert key to start alarm goes off for 30 secs, message says ' need to reset windows etc. turn key to start engine message says engine disabled, press remote. I press remotes nothing happens. Dash light for alarm is blinking at all times. Please help