General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cost to install spring conversion kit? p38 vs. newer style?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 11:40 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cost to install spring conversion kit? p38 vs. newer style?

Hey all,

Have been shopping used, and one of the models I've come across is a 2001 RR HSE that the owner has converted to Arnott Springs with new Bilstien shocks. The vehicle is a little higher mileage (80K) than another (2000 model) I looked at, which is cleaner overall, but I wonder what value the Spring conversion kit has? I like the thought of not having to keep the EAS system working, but if I buy one without it, what would I expect to pay to have it put in??

Also, is Arnott the way to go? Are there other options, better or worse? Is this something a so-it-yoursefer can do, or much too involved??

Similar system switch-over apply to the 2004 series if they start acting up, out of curiosity??

Thanks all!
Geoff.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:19 AM
Rock Crawling

The Arnott springs are pretty good however I stay with the EAS. Most people who have switched wish they hadn't. If you are not mechanically inclined and have to go to the dealer for everything you might want to go with the springs. If you are capable of changing your own oil you can maintain your air bags and will enjoy your ride. When I bought mine the bags looked worn so I just replaced them all, ran a couple new lines, renewed the air dryer, and rebuilt the compressor for about $1,300. I used upgraded parts so you can do it cheaper using OEM equivalent stuff. As far as tools go all you need is a jack, spray bottle, screw driver, and needle nose pliers. Just do a google search, there are tons of good directions out there.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Drifting

I have a '99 P38 with springs and wish I had my EAS back... two straight axles are a bit harsh without the air suspension. It was a marvelous design, but sometimes a hassle to keep up. Just remember that an ounce of prevention in this department equals much more than a pound of cure.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Rock Crawling

i think my p38 on springs is great! i love the ride of it and love that it'll never surprise me in ways the eas did.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:38 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by llesra
i think my p38 on springs is great! i love the ride of it and love that it'll never surprise me in ways the eas did.
You may be the single person out there that loves the ride of a Rover with the coil spring conversion. The only upside to the springs is no EAS problems ever again. The ride is clearly not as good as the ride with the EAS. To me, it seems bouncy, yet rigid. Riding on air is by far the way to go. I think I paid somewhere between $1000-$1200 to convert my EAS to coil springs.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:13 PM
1st Gear
Default P38 coil specific shocks

Here goes my first post here. Hello To everyone. My 1999 P38 has old man emu coils and a british pacific conversion kit.( the air is fantastic when working good especially towing) I have original shocks and have been researching bilstein shocks. (I dont see Koni's for it) the International bilstein catalog shows a P38 option for coil vehicles but the U.S,. version and U.S. coil spring conversion dealers only list shocks for pneumatic air suspension. I imagine there is a bit of difference in valving for either and may be the reason some people are not happy with coils. Anyone have experience with this issue.