General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise control driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 06:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control driving me nuts

Hello everyone,

I know the p38 cruise has been discussed to death, but I still can't get mine to work. I have gone through the Rave troubleshooting guide and everything checks out except for a weird becm vehicle speed reading. I don't think the becm is bad because everything else in the vehicle works as it should. I push the dash switch and the light comes on like it is supposed to, but it will not set a speed. For those of you with a working cruise control, when is the inverter relay supposed to click? Mine never clicks. Thank you for any help.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:27 AM
Rock Crawling

It clicks when you push the button on the steering wheel. Mine wasn't working when I got it but I replaced the inverter and the computer and it took care of it. Every now and then it kicks off for no reason but turn it off and back on and it works again.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Mudding

I've been fighting with mine too. When it clicks, it works. When it doesn't click, it doesn't work. I've narrowed mine down to what I believe the problem to be: the spiral cassette (otherwise known as rotary coupler) that is behind the steering wheel.

Mine tested fine through the RAVE process, and it was actually at the dealer for inspection and I asked them to take a look since it was in there anyway, well it worked for them the whole time of course.

I replaced ALL of the hoses. The ECU, Inverter, pedal switches all tested out fine.

One other thing - a chap on another board was having the same problem, he cleaned his battery cable connectors at both ends and his cruise worked. He figured that he might have had some slight voltage loss and that was enough to put the cruise in a funk. Worth a shot to check this out too.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah mine does the same thing... I've been thinking its something inside the steering wheel too as it does not appear to be anything else. I recently replaced the battery with a much bigger one, I'll give it a shot and see if that did it.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Rock Crawling

I already tried replacing the rotary coupler and the ecu. Still nothing. I get no clicking at all. I am going to try the inverter next.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Mudding

Wilson - did you get a new coupler or a used one? I'm debating new or used. Any difficulties with the rotary coupler replacement? I looked in RAVE and looks pretty straightforward but if you have any tips I'd like to hear them.

Inverter is probably a 10-15 minute job. I just hate throwing electrical parts at the problem though. Even a used ECU is still $60 and up.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Chris X
Even a used ECU is still $60 and up.
I found a used ECU AND Inverter for $15 on ebay. Problem solved. I am also not a fan of throwing parts at a car but at $15 it was cheaper than my time involved in troubleshooting.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:22 AM
Rock Crawling

I bought a used but known good rotary coupler. It performed exactly the same as the one that I had in the vehicle. I actually replaced it in an effort to get the SRS light to go off. Didn't work. I am going to do some more troubleshooting this weekend and I will post back.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:54 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by krazzz
I found a used ECU AND Inverter for $15 on ebay. Problem solved. I am also not a fan of throwing parts at a car but at $15 it was cheaper than my time involved in troubleshooting.
Nice! Yeah for $15 it's worth trying it. I never seem to find those deals...bah. But the ones I've been debating over have been tested as good, so maybe that's a reason for the price.

Thanks for the info Wilson....I might be interesting in taking a known good coupler off your hands if you want to get rid of it.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:09 AM
Rock Crawling

I set up saved searches on ebay and they do the work for me. Every day ebay searches for what I am looking for in the price range I am willing to pay and then they email when they hit on something. Basically I set it up and wait. I have dozens of searches going on.

Quick Reply: Cruise control driving me nuts