General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive Shaft Missing on 99 RR 4.0 SE

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 10:35 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Drive Shaft Missing on 99 RR 4.0 SE

Good morning everyone, I am new to the RR family. To make it a long story short. I was given a 99 RR 4.0 SE from a relative. It onlt has 99K miles the interior is complete and was taken care of. Here is where it gets bad. I checked the bottom and noticed that the Drive Shaft is missing: I just dont know if its the front or rear. I know this is a dumb question but it looked like it was broken off. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, look at it lol. If the drive shaft is going to the rear differential it is the rear drive shaft. If its going to the front differential, its the front drive shaft. oh BTW, don't drive it...If you think it snapped off, take a look at the differential and transfer case to see if there is any damage.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Drifting

That sound's epic in many ways! I am so happy for you to get such a wonderful vehicle! I'm sorry that the drive system is not there... It should be a pretty painless fix... that is if you don't go factory... aftermarket would do just fine... When it comes to not being able to see the parts.. aftermarket is the way to go...

Old 12-03-2010, 07:44 AM
Mudding

So did the person who gave you the vehicle offer any information about the problem?

It could be as simple as a new u-joint. It could be as complicated as a sized viscous coupling.

If only a driveshaft is needed, get one from a wrecking yard. There are also several online used parts suppliers. Fit new u-joints regardless.

A pic or two may help.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:21 PM
8th Gear

Thank you everyone. I spoke to the person that gae me the rover and he didnt know what i was talking about. So i showed him and he was just in shock. It is my front drive shaft that am missing. The car runs fine. I just need to shell out the $1000 for the tags (gotta love ca) and the check engine light came on and did the tune up and found it that its my ignition coil. Now to the drive shaft question does anyone know where i can by this part i checked the wrekyard and nothing? any help wpuld be great.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Rock Crawling

First I would take it to a qualified shop to make sure there isn't any additional damage. If that thing broke off "at speed" it could do some significant damage. I would keep looking for a used one. Try car-parts.com I did a quick search and found dozens of them for $100 to $200.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Mudding

Get a hold of Scotty at So Cal Used Rover parts. The guy is really solid about communicating and his prices are very reasonable. I've picked up all kinds of stuff from him and so have some others I know - trustworthy supplier.

I don't see one on his website but he often has stuff that isn't up on the site. Email him.

http://www.socalusedroverparts.com/

Old 12-11-2010, 11:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am willing to bet that someone removed it in an effort to get better gas mileage. In CA they probably never took it off road and so it no issue for them. If it sheared off then it would vibrate so much there would no way you would continue to drive it. If you are north in CA then you can go to parts planet in Rancho Cordova and they have everything you could ever need. I just bought a coolant bottle from them and it was a good deal and perfect shape.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:32 AM
Mudding

Handsome Rob might be on to something, I know of folks who did the same thing with the AW4 equipped Grand Cherokees.

I have always been hesitant to do it, not sure if it would have any negative consequences with the viscous coupling. Since the truck was designed to split power/torque between two axles and therefore two diffs, I'd be hesitant to run it much with all the power to one diff.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running with just the one drive shaft will put stress on the rear, but not enough in normal daily driving to blow anything up. It will wear out the rear u joints faster so that will need to be looked at. I would just try to find a replacement and put it on so it will perform the way it is supposed to.

Quick Reply: Drive Shaft Missing on 99 RR 4.0 SE