General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver's lock won't talk to other locks, or to remote, and some electrical bonks.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 05:15 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's lock won't talk to other locks, or to remote, and some electrical bonks.

Hi,
This is regarding a 2000 RR with 144,000 miles on it.
First the driver's window had raising and lowering issues that coincided with the left mirror not working. It would come and go. Then "LHF door open" notice tagged on to that problem, again, it would happen on start up, but then eventually correct itself. Then the speaker on that side hopped on to that problem so all the bonks would happen together, and right themselves together.
Shortly after that, I started having problems with the remote not locking all the doors. It would leave the driver's door unlocked. So I would have to use the key to lock that one. Except once in awhile it would work.
Then, while leaving the hospital with my special needs daughter, the remote wouldn't unlock the door, so I used the key, but since I'd used the remote to lock it, the alarm wouldn't disengage unless the remote unlocked it. I assumed by remote was the problem, so I got new batteries for the remote, BUT then I couldn't reset the remote with the door lock (you know: turn, hold till light flashes, turn the other way, hold till light flashes). So, now the car won't turn on at all.
Ordered a new door latch from Roverland Parts - wrong latch arrived - which is odd because I've always had good luck with them. So we have to wait for that again.
Is it something else anyway?
Fuse? Mouse eating wires (we live on a farm)? Solar flares?
I have had a LR of one kind or another for 10 years, so I know they have wiring issues, just don't know where to start.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Lots of problems, all related to left hand door, and inside that door is a device called the left front door outstation, an electronics module inside the door under the trim. It runs all sorts of things associated with that door. It has multiple wire plugs that have the potential to have loose connections, and it even has a strange location for a ground point, back in the luggage area. See attached from various pages of the wiring diagram manual. Keep seeing the Left Front Door Outstation. So wiring to/from it, and electrical grounds to it, could make it not behave as desired. Even a broken wire in the cable that runs from door to th etruck frame inside a rubber protective cover might be loose, can shake that cable and twist slightly to check for issues.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
rr lh door mirrors.pdf (167.3 KB, 129 views)
rr lh door windows.pdf (170.1 KB, 121 views)
rr lh door alarm.pdf (155.8 KB, 121 views)
rr lh door ground.pdf (196.8 KB, 128 views)
rr 352 connector.pdf (193.9 KB, 110 views)
Old 05-14-2012, 08:31 PM
4wd Low

Thank you Thank you Thank you Savannah Buzz!!

As soon as we took off the inside of the door (but after I'd ordered the latch) my husband said, "Oh, I bet it's that thing" pointing at what we now know is the outstation.

I'll keep you posted (pun intended) about the repair.

If it works I'll treat you to a sweet tea.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

My favorite beverage except when near Long Island, they have really high octane tea there....

Old 05-20-2012, 01:28 PM
4wd Low
Default out station problem

we need help with door left hand side car is in disable mode and nothing on that side works key batteri was replaced that is when things went wrong need help we are in iowa so we don't have any where to take it. the tag on door says 1999

Old 05-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

here's a more up to date schematic from the 1999+ electrical manual. Note chages for each model year (MY) - can download the whole thing from Land Rover Manuals

Looks like colors are same but connectors are re-numbered.

Attached Files
2000 rr wire.pdf (658.0 KB, 115 views)
Old 05-21-2012, 03:01 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by MountainDiva
we need help with door left hand side car is in disable mode and nothing on that side works key batteri was replaced that is when things went wrong need help we are in iowa so we don't have any where to take it. the tag on door says 1999

(Bless his heart, the above was my husband typing too fast after he took apart the door and hit an impasse.)

Has anyone had issues with Roverlandparts.com? Good, bad, both?

Old 05-22-2012, 09:32 AM
4wd Low

How does he test the connections? Or the latch? What ohms or whatever is he looking for? I am a go-between here, so I may not be using the right terms.
All the wires are connected -- but how can he test to see if they are getting full power? Could we need a whole new outstation?
What should the meter be reading on the latch?

Old 05-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

You are using the right terms. He can measure for open between the numbered pins of the the connectors, and see the ohms change from "infinity" - open, to a very low number - closed. In the last drawing sent, that would be from pin of connector with six wires, the red and green one; to the common on the black wire on the other connector. That would be for the switch contacts that operate the central locking system. These switch contacts show up as little arrows that swing between contacts on the drawing. At the start of the manual is a legend that explains the symbols. BTW, snacks help at a time like this, Red Bull does not.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:06 AM
4wd Low

OK he's on it right now.
He still doesn't get what he's supposed to be seeing/looking for?
Any chance you could call him? 641-888-0200. He's literally in the shop right now, but he's not an electrical engineer.

What is a good reading? what is a bad reading?

We've been without a car for over a week now, he can't even get to work, so we are desperate. And selling this car as soon as possible.

Quick Reply: Driver's lock won't talk to other locks, or to remote, and some electrical bonks.