General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped cylinder sleeve?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 09:14 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropped cylinder sleeve?

Have 2000 HSE with 54000 miles. 400 miles after 60k service, temp gauge went to red. Took to dealer for them to say cylinder sleeve dropped into engine, coolant spitting out spark plug hole, and engine needs $10,000 replacement. New to Range Rovers, but sounds like head gasket to me. Can engine sleeves really drop into block? Help.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Dropped cylinder sleeve?

yes the pistons ride in steel sleaves and dont touch the alum block. i have had the steel sleave drop down the thickness of a finger nail from the deck hight and have just done headgaskets but it may still not work and you still could need an engine block. bad news sorry.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:59 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dropped cylinder sleeve?

unfortunatley for you it is a sign of a dropped cyl. sleeve. I had this happen with my 1999 disco. Temp gauge went to red, i was on the freeway and couldnt pull over in time and presto, dropped sleeve. The engine is an alum. block with steel sleeves so the different contraction rates allow this to happen, and if it does there is nothing that can be done to fix it except a new block. There is a couple of things you could do with this: 1. Count your losses and sell the vehicle, probably not your best option though.
2. You could have the dealer install the brand new engine and pay the 10k+ bill like I (WAS) going to do.or....
3. Ask the dealer to reference a used engine(they have their sources) or you could look for a used engine and have the dealer or an indy mechanic install it. Word of caution here: if you buy your own engine then the dealership will not give you a warrenty on it. If they source it they most likely will.
I feel that (3) above would be your best option ( it was for me) They found a 4000 mile used engine and installed it for me for a total of 6000. So for a dealer install it was a fair price-also considering it was a disco two engine retrofited into my disco one. they also gave me a 180 day warrenty on the engine and associated work.