General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dying to ask real Range Rover owners...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 08:25 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dying to ask real Range Rover owners...

Hey guys. I joined this forum with one very specific goal on my mind, and this is my first post. I own several cars which I may need to upgrade, and I joined the forum to ask the real owners if below Yahoo reviews are true. Also, Forbes voted all Land Rover models in their "most unreliable luxury cars." Some say there are good ones and bad ones. If what all these bad reviews about R/R were true, I would think the company would go bankrupt. But I see so many newrange rovers, and so many guys and girls lusting after it, including me. I 'm looking to get a 07 or 08 Range Rover.

I don't have a lot of time on my hands to be making frequent visits to the Land Rover dealers for any kind of repair. And this is one reason why I'm considering the BMW M6 or 750 (my familyhad aBMW 740iL and currently own 745 and X5 with absolutely no problems for the past 2 years). I was just at the Land Rover Encino and test drove a 2008Range Rover. It was cool how this big car could climb up a 45 degree angle and managed to drive withone side of the car at a 47 degree angle. Are all these bad stories true that L/R and R/R are truly for people with money and time on their hands?

Cheers!

Yahoo reviews on Range Rover (all Land Rover owners should read these)
http://autos.yahoo.com/land_rover_ra...iwveL8F;_ylv=3

Old 03-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dying to ask real Range Rover owners...

I'm 20 and in college, and driving an '01, so not all of us have money

They arn't can be the most reliable vehicle on the road if they are properly maintained. Unfortunately, people expect to spend a couple thousand more on a 'luxury' car, and that somehow makes them not have to look under the hood for 20,000 miles when the dealer sends them a post card.

My Rover's only been in the shop twice in the last year and a half, first was for blown air suspension (expected due to 80k miles), and second for an annoying failed door lock cylinder. (probably because the girlfriend got the valet key, and I as well as the previous owner never used the lock, just remote entry).

Only other issue was a low coolant light because I left the cap off and some boiled out [:@].

I would not hesitate to buy another RR, and I can only imagine that your Rover will be a bit better reliability wise than mine!

As a side note, my cousin had a 2005 M5, and the cruise control motor caught fire while the car was in their garage, which proceeded to total the BMW, and burn down half the house. BMW is replacing with a higher milage M5, or offering half the cash value.

I'll stick with Rovers

Old 03-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You might try reading through this site's forums, there's a bunch of "what's it like discussions" in here.
Look at the mileage below on my two, - I'll probably always drive at least one.
A friend of mine has a 2006 x5 & I've taken him to the dealer twice this year already.
I went once last year to buy a light socket for my discovery.

Disclaimer - I do almost all my own work, but no more than any other car I've owned.

Scary reviews tho'
maybe that's the new ones -plus I'd like to see more about the people- "It's a crappy windshield because a rock hit it?"

Old 03-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Mudding

Where have I seen this post before??

Old 03-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Drifting

Yeah, this post (the original) smells foul. The first thing that came to my mind after readingit was it is fake.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Mudding

RR's are an obsession, somewhat.

If you're gonna drive it often I'f go RR. If not, get something else. They don't like to sit. If you have doubts, stay in your BMW and wonder what it's like to driving through a hurricane like it is something on TV looking out the front window. Few other vehicles are as good when it gets really bad, especially offroad in mud. If you're getting groceries - go BMW. If you're going to 13K feet in the San Juan mountains, go with Rover - not a Jeep, Ford, Chevy, BMW, or Merc.

What makes you think RR hasn't gone bankrupt on paper?

What is a better deal -- a luxury car made where the MFG lost $5K PER truck sold (Rover) or a company like Jeep that posts a $8K+ profit per truck after taxes, etc...

Can't speak for the new ones -- only the classics.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:21 AM
4th Gear

Thanks for all your input. I decided todelay getting the new body styleRange Roveruntil I'm married in a few years. I can't say that those reviews by the R/R owners in Yahoo Auto helped in my decision either. Yeah,maybe some of the Yahoo reviewsmay befake, but theunreliabilty result from Forbescannot be ignored. Appears to me that R/R owners of the new body style are so much in love with the design, prestige, and statusof the car that they seem to be in denial even though there may be frequent breakdowns, however minor they are. And with the evidence of some of the owners' high mileage, I am thinking that the older Range Rovers may be more dependable than the new body style.

By the way, instead of the BMW 650 or M6, I decided to get another Porsche - a 2008 Porsche 911 for now. I don't go off-roading period, and I don't plan to even if I get a Range Rover at a laterdate. Cheers.