General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Mod Sound Clips

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust Mod Sound Clips

Well I have done a lot of searching around and have not been able to find good soundclips of Range Rover Exhaust. So I decided to take one for the team and make some myself.
99 RR 4.6L HSE 96,000 miles

I am aware that not much horsepower or torque can be achieved with an exhaust only mod. With that being said, my goal was to let the V8 sing a little more without getting too much interior resonance. This is a daily driver and does a lot of long road trips. I am not interested in a droan at this stage in my life.

I decided to start with the cheapest and easiest mod:
Cut out the stock muffler and replace it with a louder one.
I visited a Midas shop with the intent of buying a Flowmaster 40 series muffler. I have used Flowmaster products in the past with great success. Upon speaking with the manager he recomended a new muffler by Thrush. He explained that Flowmaster lost the patend on the 40 series muffler and Thrush has made an identical part for a little over half the price. They both are welded aluminized steel mufflers with 2 chambers. I decided to go with the Thrush as he told me that is what he uses on all his vehicles. The install took about 45 min and the price was $188 out the door. I belive they made some adapter pieces and welded them in place to fuse the parts together.

The vehicle still retains the 2 stock resonators under the rear bumper. This helped keep the sound under control.
Here is a clip after the exhaust mod was complete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_0lI_RR-1M

Overall I am pleased with the mod for the price. I might end up cutting the resonators off and having pipes with tips installed from the muffler back. However, I am worried it will then be too loud. I will make sure to update the post if anything changes.

P.S. It was -10 degrees out this morning when I made the video. Thus all the exhaust smoke.