General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few questions before I buy...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 10:14 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions before I buy...

Hello all,

Just about to purchase a 2008 Range Rover Sport and have a couple of questions.

How many keys came with the truck when new and what kind are they? (Fob, valet, etc)

And what option packages were offered at that time.

Thanks for your input. It's appreciated.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:51 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When new, you should have gotten 2 FOBS and a valet key. If it is a used rover, good luck finding all the keys . Chances are you will get just the one, as with any used car. There are many packages available. Check edmunds.com for further details.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:41 AM
7th Gear

Thanks for the reply!

Since I'll probably be purchasing from a dealer I plan to request a full set of keys. I just didn't know what that meant. As for the packages, it's difficult to compare vehicles. The ads sometimes list things like heated seats as an option and sometimes as standard. I'll take a look at edmonds and what they have to offer.

Do you know if a dealer add a designation Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) to a truck that doesn't have that distinction? That would add miles and years to the warranty, something im interested in.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 10-09-2010, 09:12 AM
Rock Crawling

The HIGHEST level is an HSE below that it SE. The sport is a lower model than a Range Rover so they are less expensive on the used market.
Land Rover dealers are the SAFEST source for them since they come with a Warranty and these are not cheap to make right if they are not taken care of.
We have adopted 4 dogs and the difference in them are noticed in level of care and in the options they have.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:17 AM
7th Gear

Thanks for the information.

I find the process of purchasing a vehicle so frustrating. I'm looking at three trucks. Two are at the same dealer but different locations. Jake Kaplans in Warwick RI, and Jake Kaplans near boston. They advertise two trucks with identical features, year, etc. and only 3k difference in mileage. And they are 3k different in price!

The other one i'm looking at is further away but is certified pre-owned similar price. I am requesting Jakes to certify their truck for me.

And so it goes...

Scott

Old 10-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Pro Wrench

Almost all LR and Jag dealers will certify and put warranties on their vehicles. It is how they make money on used rovers. They get them at the auctions cheap and then sell them for a A LOT more. Look on cars.com, you will notice the rovers on there are priced 5 to 10k lower than dealership ones because they do not have a warranty. At dealer auctions, it is shocking how low the prices are for them.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:45 PM
Rock Crawling

2001 Range rover at Auction with 72,450 miles $3,500.00. Dealer wants $7,500.00 for the same car I looked at at auction.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:08 PM
7th Gear

The dealer gave me a quote (finally) and offered to put the LR Certified Pre-owned (CPO) on the car for $2000. He is now about a grand less than the one further away but I haven't gotten a quote from those guys yet. Because I have no idea whether this is a good deal or not I'm going to try something new, an auto buyer broker. There was a good article about the process on the edmonds site. You give them a flat fee, tell them exactly what you want and they get it. They guarantee that the price of the car will be less than I can obtain by at least their fee. And should be much less. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for your input.

Scott