General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future Buyer question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 11:41 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future Buyer question

Hello all!

I have searched around the forum for problems that I might be getting into by getting a range rover. One question that I have not been able to find an answer to is about the security system. here is the scenario:

1989 Range Rover. The drivers door handle is broken on the outside and will need to be replaced. They have the drivers door taken apart on the inside, but i did not get a great look at it (it is parked along the road and i just stopped to look...and kinda fell in love after reading up about these things)

Now my question: I have read about horror stories of disabling the vehicle by tripping the security system while working on the suv. some of the posts i read people were working on doors when they disabled the car. Can anyone tell me does a 89 have this security system or do I need to worry about it?

My thought was that with it being an older car it would be simpler and easier to work on...is this statement true?

any other advise about these generation of classic RR would be helpful.

Anthony

Old 01-10-2012, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Free download of the factory shop manuals in my signature, they are called the RAVE. The security systems, when installed, all work when vehicle is parked, engine off, and doors locked. If vehicle can be driven, great. Park it, raise hood, disconnect battery, etc. You won't have any problems working on things.

But the door lock is just the tip of the iceberg. And yes, the older and simpler designs are easier to deal with, compared to the multi-computer new models. Older Rovers have almost always suffered neglect of many service related issues, from oil and lubrication (lots of things on the underside), tranny fluid change, coolant flush, etc.

If vehicle will run, you are wise to get a pre-purhase inspection by a mechanic.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if your going to do a RRC then an early one is the way to go, it does not have the "super lock" function of the Disco's.
Being an 89 it is also coil sprung all around and you dont have all the problems assocated with the later air suspension systems.
It has a 3.9 up from a 3.5 in the 87 & 88.
You can tell if it is an early or late model by the door hinges early model had exterior hindes.
If it has a sun roof and chrome bumpers it could be an early county edition, but then it would have those but but ugly 3 spoke wheels on it.
Like all RR the needs to be pampered and worked on constanly, if you are not able to do the repairs and maintenance yourself it may not be the car for you.
Your axles and what not should use the same parts as the defender / discovery I.
the transfer case is different though it has a chain driven borg warner transfer case.
At some point it will need head gaskets (i think every RR does).
87-90 have a seperate fan motors for the heat and airconditioning.
When the heater fan or heater core goes you are looking at a 10 hour job, you have to remove the dash and the AC evaporator to get to it.
Not a bad job in your driveway in the summer but if it has to go to a dealer in say the middle of Feb. for a heatercore thats like $1200 just in labor.
Go ahead jump in the waters fine. I just picked up a 90 swb county for the wife.

Last edited by drowssap; 01-10-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:29 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys for the great info!

I called about it today and am waiting to hear back from the person selling it to take it for a drive.

drowssap: it is a latter model (I had read the buyers guide from rangerovers.net and paid attention to the door hinges). Thanks for the other info too!

Buzz: I am working on DL'ing the RAVE manuals right now! I am not the most mechanically inclined person (and certainly do not have many tools right now...working on that part). But I do not mind a challenge and I enjoy working on things.

Thanks to everyone here for all the info given in all the posts that I have been trolling through over the past week.

Anthony