General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GearBox/Transmission Fault "Oh Oh"

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 01:35 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GearBox/Transmission Fault "Oh Oh"

First I like to say hi, new to the site. I have a 96/2001 Range Rover 4.6L P38 model I believe. 96 body, 2001 lights, wheels, etc.

OK, I did a boo boo. I was checking out my engine/tranny mounts by power braking. "I know you shouldn't power brake an all wheel drive truck" especially a Range Rover. But I didn't it without thinking. I heard a clink like something broke/snapped. Now I have no 1st gear in D "Drive". If I rev it up it will catch sooner or later. If I throw it in 1st gear it moves fine, then I put it back in D "Drive" and its back to normal again. Every time I stop I must do the same thing. Does anyone know or have an idea what I broke??? I work on my own vehicles for the most part. I'm a marine mechanic, use to be an auto mechanic when I was a kid so I know my way around. Not to familiar with trannys but hopefully its nothing serious because I could only imagine what a rebuilt tranny or gearbox would cost on this. Also when I start her up there is no warnings until I put it in gear "D" and thats when I get the Gearbox Fault warning on the dash. In advance I do appreciate all help in advance guys. Thanks!!!

John

Old 07-05-2010, 08:28 AM
Rock Crawling

Sounds like you may need a new transmission. The good news is that they are not that expensive due to the fact that they are fairly bulletproof. There are a lot of good used ones out there. Being that you're a mechanic and can do the work yourself, you might get out of this for under $1k. In the future, you might want to save the powerbraking for the high performance cars.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I am no sure if it is definately gone but from my experience when that fault light comes on and you do not have a first gear then it is toast. I messed mine up after I first got it but was able to find a used one for $600 with only 82K on it. I replaced the filter and have been driving it ever since. I guess to make sure take into a tranny shop and see what they say, I am sure they will say to rebuild since when that happens and you have it open there is not much sense in just fixing what is broken and not rebuilding the whole thing. Again, buying used is probably the best idea.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where did you hear the clink? The front or rear of the transmission?

Old 07-06-2010, 06:13 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

why in hell would you power brake? You can simply look underneath for signs of damage unless you have another issue?

pry bars can do wonders somedays.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:43 AM
2nd Gear

Hey Scott, at the time I really wasn't paying close attention, but it sounded like the front the noise came from, Rovin, I know it replays in my head over and over again. One of my pals has a tranny shop and sometime next week I'll swing it by to see what he says. I seen a few used one's for $500 plus here and there, just burns me up because I just threw in 2k in tires and repainting the hood, etc.... Anyone wanna buy Ranger Rover........ I might go for a newer one supercharged.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey we all do something stupid now and then so dont beat yourself up too much about it. I cannot think why it would work in position 1 but not in drive and then still shift fine after that. You could be lucky and have the problem just be with the sending unit peice that is attached to the drivers soide of the tranny that tells it what geat it should be in. But more than likely it is not it and will need something major done to it. I would start lining up one of those used ones you are finding in the mean time.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:40 PM
1st Gear

today i was on red light and then it turn green so i press the gas to move and the my range rover didnt move at all i didnt hear nothing break or anything , so i turn it off then on nothing working as well i did that for couple times , then i put it on 1st gear then do the manual shift or if i rev ot to 3000 rpm it will till me gearbox error and then it will work only on second gear and the 3 gear but will not shift higher and will not move on the first , if u turn it off again u have to rev it a gain or shift it to manual so any buddy have any idea and johny what happened when u went to ur pals shop did u end putting new trani or what the problom

Old 04-27-2011, 11:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your transmission could be low on fluid, have an xyz switch failure, a linkage problem, etc.