General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I bent my rim

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I bent my rim

I bent my rim, but the mechanic was able to put on counter weights to the point that the shaking at 60+ is no longer an issue. Does anyone know if I continue to run it will it have a long term negative affect? Or should I just open my wallet and let $400 pour out for a new rim? All comments are appreciated.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the balance is ok and the bend isn't bad enough to cause a leak or a blowout you should be fine. My hurricane wheels are the softest metal I have ever seen in a wheel. When I bought my truck two of my wheels were corroded on. I tried every trick I knew and after a weekend gave up and took it to a tire shop. It took them 3 days to get them off and they were so bent up they were barely usable, I drove with them like that for a couple months until I found my replacements,

Old 01-17-2011, 11:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The counter weights will work but it is not ideal.

What about putting your spare on and keeping the bad one as the spare? That way there is no long term issues.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:17 AM
Mudding

You could get an estimate from a wheel repair shop to see if it is worth fixing. I'd suggest you try that first, sometimes they can be fixed, sometimes they cannot.

If not then perhaps try to find a used or refurbished wheel if you want to save some cash - maybe call Motorcars LTD and see if they have one, or try Wheels America or another refurbishment shop. Either way stick with a reputable seller if buying used so you know you won't get a bent one.

Either way personally I'd want to get the issue addressed rather than worry about balancing it right with every set of tires.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:26 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for the input guys. Quick fix will be to swop the new wheel/spare for the bent one. The mechanic showed how difficult it was to balance the rim but he did it. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Rock Crawling

I didn't want my response to be misleading. I think you will be fine to drive it until you get it fixed but it should only be viewed as a temporary option until you find a new rim. I just meant that driving around like that shouldn't hurt anything if done temporarily.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:48 AM
Rock Crawling

Used Range Rover wheels are on ebay all the time and they are pretty cheap.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

For what it is worth, you won't find a shop that can correct a bend in our aluminum wheels, if tried, it will leave a weak spot in the alloy that can fail.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:05 PM
Rock Crawling

Krazz,
I understood what you said. No worries. Good thing the others look fine when they put on my new tires. Thanks for the input.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:07 PM
Rock Crawling

Mike,
Thanks for looking out. I did not realize that having the rims worked on may lead to a possible crack. I think I will stick to switch my spare for the bent rim. I think its the safest bet. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: I bent my rim