General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking at a 97 Range Rover (what to look for)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at a 97 Range Rover (what to look for)

Hi I am a former Disco I owner and I am looking at 97 Range Rover this weekend. I know the Becm is toast so no locking? Hopefully that's not a bad fix. I know the muffler needs replacing (magnaflow here I come) and it has 169,000 kms (Canada). What should I be looking for and what should I expect to be dealing with?

Thanks

Old 04-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Rock Crawling

BECM basically controls the whole truck. This truck had better be cheaper than dirt or else I would walk, I mean run away. How do you know it is the BECM and not just a lock switch or actuators? If it really is the BECM I'm not sure I would take it if it were free. Make sure the air suspension is working and that the bags are in good condition. Raise and lower the vehicle to test it.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:59 PM
Drifting

That's what the add says that it needs a new becm but it runs and is aircared (smog certified). I'll definitely check the air susp for sure. So maybe the seller doesnt' know what the real problem is then, maybe just the locks...

Old 04-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does the thing run? If it drives nice and the rest of it is isn't in bad shape you could offer them a real low ball number. I've never replaced a BECM myself, swapping them is not that hard, but you will need a dealership or someone with the capability of re-programming the unit to get it to work. Sometimes you can just swap it and it will work, other times no. What can happen is the mileage will appear higher on your rover when you swap the BECM out. There is plenty of reading you can do on the BECM just google it.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Mudding

This could be a good deal or quite an ordeal. Need to figure out the real status of that BeCM....if it is "toast" then nothing works. Replacement isn't always straightforward either.

When looking at that exhaust, check to see if it is really the muffler, or if it is actually one of the exhaust headers. Prone to cracks...