General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a P38....

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 07:24 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a P38....

I've currently got a '96 DI 5pd w/ 118k on the clock. I've had it for a little over a year and am largely familiar to LR quirks.

I've got my eye on a '98 P38 4.0 SE w/ 154K on the clock. Going to take a look today, in fact.

I'm going to go ahead and assume w/ the mileage that the head gaskets have been done on this truck.

Aside from checking all fluids, airbags, etc....anything else I need to be looking for specifically? I've tried searching and have read of the electrical quirks, which don't really bother me as I'm capable of working on it myself. As far as I'm understanding, there is no transmission dipstick to check the fluid? Anything else to look for specifically?

Thanks fellas.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:16 AM
Mudding

Thoroughly check the operation of the HVAC - making sure that the blower motors are working on both sides.

Some other little bits that really are not worth mentioning to an experienced LR owner like you. So just apply regular used car buying logic.

With that many miles/age, I'd expect the truck to be $4k or less in good condition.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:08 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If its a 98 Gems it should have a transmission dipstick.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 98 should be a GEMS so it will look just like the motor on your 96. I would start it and run the complete EAS system through all its heights and then maybe again a second time before you are done. This way you can make sure the tank is being filled between cycles.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Drifting

I'd hold out for a good deal on a 1999 - 2002. They seem to have "less" trouble with the Bosch electronics for the engine. <--- In my opinion

Old 01-26-2011, 10:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the GEMS is a better engine in a few ways. You tend to have less of a problem with head gaskets and the CPS does not fail as often either. Both of which are very common in the Bosch engine.

The real draws of the later models is the nav and the newer headlights; the nav is outdated and the headlights just look a little different and put out the same amount of light.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:04 AM
Pro Wrench

I have mixed feelings about the Bosch engines... It seems like you either get an amazing Bosch rover, or a horrific nightmare for some reason.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:29 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by LRScott
I have mixed feelings about the Bosch engines... It seems like you either get an amazing Bosch rover, or a horrific nightmare for some reason.
I agree.

Either way it's still a used car that is somewhere around a decade old or older, so maintenance along the way is going the be a big factor in whether or not it is a POS or a good rig.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:56 AM
Mudding

Well I took a look at it yesterday and it wasn't quite as described, which was fairly vague in the first place.

It has been converted to coils so all of the suspension lights are on.

The SRS light is on. Not sure about that one...

The HVAC system seems a little screwy. I didn't get to spend much time on it, but it appears that the passenger side vents aren't blowing and the digital readout display isn't really working properly.

It runs and shift fine and all of the fluids look ok.

Headliner is missing, was probably hanging and someone got frustrated and pulled the rest of the material down. The interior was fairly dirty but nothing that can't be cleaned.

Asking price was $2800 but I offered him $2200, which i still think might be a little high....opinions?

There was a panel missing above the stereo face, which I'm not sure exactly what went there in the first place. Nav?

pic of the truck:

Old 01-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Pro Wrench

looks like mine before i bought it! Mine had some screwy problems like you are describing. HVAC systems are crap anyways, good luck finding a rover that has a perfect one for that price. I would pull the valve covers, drop the oil pan and take a long hard look at the power train. Get service records if they have them, and grill the owner with questions like, "has it ever overheated, when was the oil changed, etc". Even though mine was in rough shape, I bought it because it had no ticks, was incredibly smooth and didn't get even slightly warm. If its got some bad ticks or clanks, walk away. There will be others.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a P38....