General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Humming Noise effects RPM

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 11:44 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Humming Noise effects RPM

Hey,

I bought a 2003 RR a couple weeks ago and I'm hearing a loud humming noise and RPM hesitation at around 2000 rpm and the rpm hovers up and down as it keeps making noise. It doesn't hum or vibrate in sport mode. I took it to an Indy shop that only works on land rovers and all they got was an o2 sensor alarm on the t4 they used. They also said it could be a transmission going bad but can't say for sure. If the transmission were the problem, wouldn't it also happen in sport mode? Please help, I only have the warranty from the dealership for 100 more miles and if it's the trans I was them to cover it! The dealership says it's the driveline ( front differential recall was done in 2008). Any ideas? I can't shell out $5000 for a transmission rebuild!

Old 05-19-2010, 12:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many miles are on your RR? I highly doubt its your transmission. The transmission may need a fluid flush though. BTW, it says your transmission is sealed for life which is a bunch of BS. Transmissions on RRs rarely go out if they are taken care of properly. If you haven't had the differential recall done yet, I would suspect that. If that does not solve the problem, then I would have them replace the transmission (I doubt that is the problem) just to take advantage of your warranty . Keep us updated on what happens.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:26 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the response. It has 104k miles on it. I don't think it's the transmission either, even the shop that said it could be the transmission said they've never seen a range rover transmission go out in 30 years of their business. They also didn't seem to sure but seemed like they wanted their $5000. The thing about the warranty is that it's through a small used dealer and they don't specialize in rovers or bmw so I'm afraid they'll screw it up. The dealer suspects it's the driveline or something else. The front differential recall was performed by the dealer by the previous owner. If it was the transmission I think I'd have more problems, but I also can't figure out why it doesn't happen in sport mode. Could it be the o2 sensors? The shop did say the t4 brought up o2 sensors being bad and that the rack and pinion needs to be replaced because one side is loose.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Pro Wrench

Well, if your differential has not had the recall done, I would definitely suspect that or at least have it done since you need to anyways.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:59 PM
1st Gear
Cool Loud humming noise and lagging RPM's

Hi - I have a 2003 RR and have been experiencing an intermittent humming noice. I've also noticed that it affects the acceleration and the tachometer seems to waiver around the 1500 rpm point. Especially noticable when the vehicle is under load - going uphill or pulling a trailer. Have had several shops, including the dealership, look at it with varying opinions - transmissions, motor mounts, etc. Dealership seems to think it is the catalytic converters and wants $1300 EACH to fix. Any thoughts????

Also - wondering thoughts on servicing the sealed transmission?

Old 06-13-2011, 08:27 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

where are you located?

depending on your location the cats are covered for 110k and 11 years.

I have seen the transmission make the same humming though. the converter failed and sent metal all thru the transmission. you can try a flush but most likely if the fluid is bad once its let out then whatever it was holding onto will let go and it wont go in forward gear. and seen quite a few RR lose a transmission from towing alot.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:17 PM
Pro Wrench

Hey Rovin4life, I recently bought a 98 XJ8 and found out that the L322 uses the same transmissions that jaguar did from 1998 to 2003. The transmissions on them have a common weak point, the A-drum. It gives out at around 70k miles, usually destroying the transmission.

Just out of curiosity, does the 5 speed on the L322 suffer from a-drum failures, or did they revise it?

Old 06-16-2011, 08:35 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

completely different for the land rover. different ratios and such. But on an 03 it uses a different setup compared to an 06 and above. But usually the transmission on a range rover goes from lack of fluid or burning up from the radiator going bad. Also towing isn't nice to them. They tend to burn up quicker if you dont do a complete flush on them.