General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucky 8’s Project P38

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Winching
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jmason
I feel like I'm having deja-vu...

Hasn't this all been posted before? I feel as though this all happened earlier this year haha!
SHHHHH
Im looking for different opinions on some of the bits.

I've nearly finished all my work for the season on my P38, and I'll post an update when it's finished!
Please do and let me know the next time your coming down

Old 11-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
I was waiting for you to post a response. You guys should get together, you're practically neighbors. You could meet halfway in Hamilton!
We met for coffee once but he was hell bent on Tim hortens and I want starbucks.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Tim Horton's, that's not coffee! They tried to open stores in New England and took a beating. I used to cut Canadians some slack but now that their dollar is worth more than ours there's no excuse for cheap coffee!

Old 11-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Winching

Tim Horton's, that's not coffee! They tried to open stores in New England and took a beating. I used to cut Canadians some slack but now that their dollar is worth more than ours there's no excuse for cheap coffee!
funny

Old 11-29-2012, 07:59 AM
Pro Wrench

OK, back to the original topic. There's not much oout of the ordinary to be done with a P38 for wheeling. They are actually pretty awesome even stock if everything is working correctly. With the 4 channel traction control in the later model years like you are building, lockers aren't really needed in most situations and you also already have the stronger 4-pin diffs. But if you are going to install much larger tires, then you need to regear so while you're at it a set of lockers makes sense. I've always been impressed with the creativity people have used to lift the EAS suspension like modified perches to get it in the air and modified level sensor links to allow for greater articulation but it sounds like you're going to ditch the EAS for coil springs.

If you are going to run really big rubber, you will probably end up concentrating on longer arms on the suspension and adjustable panhard rods. I haven't seen much in the way of changes to these pieces. I would also like to see someone build a winch mount that sits in the frame rails up front so that the crush cans for the bumper still function as they should. Ditching all of those pieces and mounting a heavy bumper directly to the frame makes a great piece for winching and recovery, but I doubt an insurance company lawyer would see it's value after an accident.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:25 PM
Winching

OK, back to the original topic. There's not much oout of the ordinary to be done with a P38 for wheeling.
That is the goal of this build. We are trying to show the manufactures that the demand is there for the P38

I've always been impressed with the creativity people have used to lift the EAS suspension like modified perches to get it in the air and modified level sensor links to allow for greater articulation but it sounds like you're going to ditch the EAS for coil springs.
I agree there have been a lot of creative people that made that suspension dance. The unfortunate side is the bags have been proven time and time again to be unreliable and the weakest point. Because of that the EAS must go.

If you are going to run really big rubber, you will probably end up concentrating on longer arms on the suspension and adjustable panhard rods.
So far the arms have been pretty forgiving. Panhard bars are already in the works.

I would also like to see someone build a winch mount that sits in the frame rails up front so that the crush cans for the bumper still function as they should. Ditching all of those pieces and mounting a heavy bumper directly to the frame makes a great piece for winching and recovery, but I doubt an insurance company lawyer would see it's value after an accident.
Except for the crush cans I think you're going to get your wish very soon

04duxlr thank you very much for your input.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Winching

P38 project update.
We may have bitten off more than we can chew.

Name:  photo-3-2.jpg
Views: 3199
Size:  86.0 KB

The 305/70/16 tires appear to be slightly larger than what the stock wheel wells will allow for. Either way we are going to give it our best effort.

Name:  photo-6-2.jpg
Views: 3236
Size:  73.4 KB

Terrafirma has sent over a few suspension kits and the first set of prototype shock should be with us on Monday.

Name:  photo-8-2.jpg
Views: 2557
Size:  109.1 KB

The next thing to do is the install and see where she sits.

Poser shot.

Name:  photo-7-1.jpg
Views: 2492
Size:  187.8 KB

Old 11-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fivespddisco
We met for coffee once but he was hell bent on Tim hortens and I want starbucks.
If it makes everybody feel better, I have since converted to Starbucks!

In Tim Horton's defense though, I'd like to point out that the coffee and whatnot they sell south of the border is not the same as the much-loved Tim's up here in Canadaland!

What sorts of things are you guys working on for panhard bars?

Old 11-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Pro Wrench

"So far the arms have been pretty forgiving."

I don't know. By the time you get that thing high enough for that monster rubber, the arms will be vertical and the wheelbase will be cut in half. If you drop the mounts down far enough, the stock arms will probably work but I'll bet some longer, adjustable arms would be pretty nice.

As for the rubber, seems like you looked too hard for a clean P38. You'll feel that much worse when you bust out the sawzall.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:55 PM
Winching

What sorts of things are you guys working on for panhard bars?
Adjustable panhards are in production as we speak.

Quick Reply: Lucky 8’s Project P38