General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My brakes sound like a machine gun!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 11:36 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My brakes sound like a machine gun!!!

There is suddenly an intermittent rapid fire tick coming from under my dash near the pedal and when this happens the braking goes whacky and I can't stop. The pedal is kicking back when the this occurs as well. It seems as though its trying to go into antilock mode but I am at parking lot speed and in no threat of skid... It has a new Accumulator , new stainless lines , and new fluid as well .

I would love to disarm the ABS if possible and have seen info in places about disconnecting the sensors. Would my symptoms be cured by this ? Does some one have detailed ( read: chimp-proof ) instructions on how to rid my ABS woes ?

Old 09-26-2007, 05:46 AM
Mudding
Default RE: My brakes sound like a machine gun!!!

Check your front sensors ,push them down all the way, codes need to be checked , to find out which sensor is corrupt, you could have swivel hub problems.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Drifting

I presume this 'sensor' would be the wired item that protrudes down vertically into the top of the top swivel ball pivot ( in the front - the rear ? ) ? I just re-sealed my entire swivel ball and the ABS symptom didn't change ( was there before and after - the swivel ball re-seal was not due to this symptom but was a scheduled repair independent of the ABS issue ) . Any detailed instructions on how to clean , adjust , check , or otherwise take a look at the ABS wheel speed sensors would be fantastic ( my limited manual doesn't show anything helpful ) .

Thanks so much for any input !!

Old 09-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Mudding

You really need to have the codes checked , if the sensors are installed properly and it continually activates it isint safe to drive.
I dont recomend it but you can try unplugging the ABS ecu or the plug on the brake booster to stop the madness.