General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new member abd got questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 07:07 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member abd got questions

http://www.hooverchryslerjeepofsavan...ff5c940e8c.htm

I am looking at getting this land rover. the questions i have are. I am a complete newbie to land rovers never known anyone who has owned one. Ive driven one once in germany. any help would be awsome

What is a good price for it?

What kind of problems should i exspect with this truck later on

Are the maintance costs on these a little higher than a normal suv

And i plan on towing a pop up with it the wt of the pop up is 5500 and the tongue wt is 650 are these things good at towing?

And the last question is what kindof gas mileage do these things get?

Old 10-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Drifting

You should really search the threads on this site for your questions as most have already been answered many times before. My overall opinion is unless you are a Land Rover enthusiast and can tinker with this model year and also have the money to invest in it when it needs it, I would advise you to get something else. If you know nothing about Rovers and get this truck, you may be setting yourself up for a big ole pain in the ***. The model year and miles on this particualr truck are right in line with one needing some major TLC. I started having LOTS of issues with my P38 when my odo hit the 80K mark and not to say that all Rovers have the same issues mine did but mine is probably a great example of what could happen to one around that age and miles. I dumped thousands into mine in the first 2 years of ownership and I was only half way done getting it where it needed to be. Just when I got things working again, my truck would need some routine serivce thing so I was constantly shelling out cash to keep her road worthy. I will say that mine was a daily driver and I did a 32 mile commute each way to work so that definitely added to the cost of ownership.

To answer your questions in short, a 10 year old Rover with ~85K miles should not sell for any more than $7-9K or so depending on its service history. If it hasn't been taken care of, stay away from it. If this dealership cannot show you the service history, take it to a LR dealer and have them run the VIN to see what was done from a service perspective. In fact, pay them $100 and have them run a diagnostic check on the entire vehicle. Problems with this age/model are mainly EAS failures and electrical gremlins but fluid leaks and other things are also common, too. The parts and labor for a Rover are very expensive even if you have an independent LR mechanic to use so be advised. As far as towing, I would not tow anything with a 4.0 SE. A 4 liter engine is underpowered for a truck as heavy as the Range Rover, not to mention thousands of pounds in the rear. If you tow with a SE, your truck will be labored going up any incline. I had the 4.8 HSE and mine never seemed to be overly powerful. I will say that the body on these trucks is built to last ....you could drive one through a brick wall with ease. Gas mileage is not great ....heavy truck with a V-8 engine = poor mileage. I probably got around 15 mpg most of the time. If you are considering a Rover, gas mileage should be the least of your worries. This will be an extremely minor expense in the overall expense of owning a Rover.

My personal opinion would be that Rovers of this age and miles should be left for the true enthusiasts who know what they are getting into and can tinker/repair them on their own as needed and who have the cash to invest in them. They are really great trucks for the right owners. Best of luck to you in whatever your decision will be. Maybe others on this site can weigh-in the benefits of owning a 10 y/o Rover in your situation.

Last edited by fsufan8; 10-25-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not pay more than 6K for it and if I did it would have to be in great shape with good service history.

The main problem with these vehicles is that they are expensive to work on if you take it to a dealer. Because of that many people did not keep up on the service and so it creates problems when you buy it. They are fairly easy to work on and the biggest stuff is the EAS suspension system and head gaskets, the misc. electronic stuff is more annoying than costly.

Since you are new to Rovers it may be a bit much to take on but you may just love them just as much as the rest of us.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:04 AM
Rock Crawling

Here is a good example of Range Rover ownership costs. I have two vehicles. One is the Range Rover and the other is a GMC cargo van for work. I am getting spare keys made for both vehicles this week. The GMC keys I got made at a local locksmith at a cost of about $7.00. For the Range Rover keys, I get to drive to the dealership which is ~40 miles away because this is the only place I know of to get the keys made. I am getting two keys made and one remote programed to unlock the doors. If I walk out of the dealership for less than $200.00 I will be a happy man. If that kind of stuff will bother you, then Range Rover ownership is probably not for you. Of course, they are the best SUVs on the road. They ride great, look great, and can go anywhere.