General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Classic Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 10:49 PM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Classic Engine Swap

Hi Land Rover Folks,

I have read a number of posts and have found them all useful. I am most interested in engine swaps. From the posts I have read most have made a swap or engine rebuild anywhere from 120k to 180k miles. It seems all have the same complaint of lack of power and a want for better fuel economy, better torque and greater power.

My rig is an 89 RR with mega miles on its clock. Miraculously the engine still runs and gives me the same power its 3.9 power plant gave me when I purchased it in 91. I stopped counting the miles after the replacement of the odometer 3 x's and an added accumulation of miles of 450k+ miles. It all boils down to changing the oil every 3k miles and adding ultra lube additives to the crank and transmission oils.

My boy has some issues though I need to do some welding on the body but is nothing I can’t handle. The frame is in great shape. And there is very little rust. The body needs to be repainted all equating to cosmetics not mechanicals.

Okay enough on what I have. I want o change out the engine as like others I want more torque, cheaper replacement parts, readily available and easy to fine parts (standard), more horsepower and best of all much better fuel economy. The latter is something the 3.9, 4.0 or 4.1 will not give. There are options to add a different LR engine that tend to be gas guzzlers and cost mega bucks.

So the big question has anyone swapped out their old 3.9 and put a Chevy LT1 or LS1 small block in its place. If yes what were the issues? Did you have to modify the engine mounts? Were you able to go directly to the LT230 x-transfer box or did you have to make modifications. Where did you get your wiring harness? I have found Painless Wiring to be a good source.

Any who can shed some light on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,