General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

p38 front prop missing

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 06:38 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p38 front prop missing

Hi all my mate has just bought a p38range on a 01 plate on a whim. Went to service it for him only to find that the transmission rad was leaking and the main concern, that the front drive shaft is not there at all, someone has removed it. Has any one any ideas why someone would have removed it before we get a new one and replace it to find that it is going to grind something to a pulp.
many thanks in advance
steve

Old 02-21-2011, 05:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They might have removed it because of a VC issue, or they were to cheap to buy a new drive shaft. Driving around without a drive shaft is generally inadvisable. It usually damages the transfer case and viscous coupling. It can be done in an emergency though or if the vehicle needs to be towed with 2 wheels still on the road.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be what Scott said or it could be that someone thought they would get better MPG by removing it since it is 4WD all the time. I am hearing of more missing front shafts since gas prices went up the past couple of years. The VC may give issues when it needs the traction though depending on how long it has been with out one.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't think about that Rob... Lots of cheapos out there. Can't imagine it would give a worth while increase in MPG though. If you have to remove your drive shaft to afford gas for your rover, you shouldn't own one lol.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:01 AM
Mudding

People remove the front shafts not only on Rovers, but on Jeeps that have the AW4 transmission. I think it does more harm than good in doesn't make a lick of sense to me. Hopefully for the OP it is a gas saving measure and not a VC problem.

As we've discussed before on this issue, the rear diff is designed to work in concert with the front diff (share torque distribution), using rear drive only for lengthy periods may put undue stress on the rear diff. Do I think this would cause failure? Unlikely, but more wear and tear no doubt.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:29 AM
8th Gear

Cheers all so it get it replaced as soon as possible and see what noises come from it then

Old 02-24-2011, 11:49 AM
8th Gear

Any one have any idea on the length of the front prop?

Old 02-24-2011, 10:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry I do not know, and it is about -1F outside so I am not willing to go out and measure it for you. If you call Roverland parts or just about any other wrecking yard that has Rovers they will be able to get you one. If you want custom you can call Tom Woods or go to a local shop and they will measure for you and make it.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:13 PM
Three Wheeling

could be worse, mine was missing the rear shaft so don't feel alone

Old 03-20-2011, 06:44 AM
8th Gear

Hi all just an update. got a prop and fitted it, only to find a whine comeing from the car, and got axle wind up, narrowed it down to the vc, changed the vc and changed oil in diffs, front all clean, rear found bit of teeth and a roll pin about 20mm x 4mm and still got the whine when foot is take off the accelarator and engine braking takes over. all ideas on where the whine could be coming from greatly recieved
cheers steve

Quick Reply: p38 front prop missing