General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchasing Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 11:01 AM
jug
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing Advice

Found a 2005 range rover hse one owner. with less than 35,000 miles. Elderly man bought new he can't drive anymore for whatever reason. Would u say they are reliable vehicles? Some reviews state they have frequent problems. What is your advice?? Anything would be helpful!
Thanks in advance~

Old 12-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much are they asking for it? I do not know what kind of person you are or how handy you are with tools, etc. Rovers are not terrible cars like some people make them out to be. However, they are more expensive to run than most vehicles and do require a meticulous owner. I've found that people that do not give them the attention they deserve will pay the price and have large repair bills. The mark III range rovers are the most complex and often times the most expensive to repair. If you can locate a local shop that works on them and their rates are fair, chances are you will have a great car that you'll love. If there isn't anyone to work on them for miles, then you might consider something else. The problems rovers experience are mostly electrical, especially with the newer ones. It is rare for a rover to need a major engine or drive train repair. It really just depends on what you are looking for... Most owners tend to be enthusiasts and never want to drive anything else ever again.

If you are looking for a super reliable 4x4, get a land cruiser. If you want something with class that gives you that warm feeling when you click the remote, then a RR is probably a good choice. From a problem stand point, they really are no worse than a Ford Explorer. I've just found that people tend to be **** retentive about a car that they just spent 80k on and have a temper tantrum when the slightest problem arises.

Last edited by LRScott; 12-05-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:16 AM
jug
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking it can be bought for $19,500 to $22,000 range. I'm going to look it over good today in day light hrs and may drive it some . Thank u for the advice .