General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Range Rover Trip!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 10:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Range Rover Trip!

I had a very enjoyable weekend with my rover, just what I needed too... Our local dealership hosted an event in McCall that involved many enjoyable activities. I brought my brother and mom along to show them what its all about. We chose hiking (no gear required except shoes, and I'm cheap) and to go on their obstacle course. There were great people there of all walks of life. I was concerned it would be a little snobbish, but there were quite a few people there with older rovers. The food was great and so were the activities. So don't be shy if your dealership is hosting an event. You will be welcomed warmly no matter what you are driving and have a blast.

This was the first real "road trip" I took my rover on and I was very concerned. After all it has nearly 170k on the clock... The end result was a renewed trust in the vehicle. WILL THE DAMN THING EVER STOP! I tested it and it tested me. At first I was very cautious, eventually I became merciless with it. The harder I was on it, the harder it was on me. I couldn't believe it. I've off roaded in it before, but haven't pushed the limit quite so far. They took us to an old fire watch tower out in the middle of no where on a mountain at 7600FT MSL. I couldn't believe how well it took it all. It may be old, but it has tons of life left in it. On the way there it got an average of 23mpg too!

I have a confession, I was considering selling it, but now I think I'll keep her a little longer... So if there is anyone on here a little scared of beating theirs up... DO IT! lol. Obviously play it safe and actually go with someone experienced... I've posted some photos on my photo gallery if anyone is interested. A lot of the "challenging" stuff is not shown because I was too busy trying to navigate the obstacles. Hope everyone had a great weekend!
Photo gallery link: https://landroverforums.com/forum/members/lrscott-9515-albums-rover-trip-344/

Old 09-13-2010, 12:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed it and that the Rover did well. I have gone off road in mine and love the way it performs. I was a Jeep guy for a long time and now I am all about Rovers.

I am curious how you got 23 mpg though, I have had some good like 18 mpg but nothing over 20!

I have never heard of my local dealer doing events but that could also be that I do not buy from them very often.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:42 PM
Pro Wrench

The dealers usually don't announce it. Its kinda hard to find out because they don't want to just put an ad on craigslist and have a million people sign up. They usually deliver an invitation to their customers. Whether you bought a car from them, or just get it serviced there, you are invited. If you want to get on their "list". Go in for an oil change a couple times and ask about their events while you are waiting. They usually will ask you for your email and then you are on their secret "list" lol. It averaged 23mpg... Idk how, it just did. Is yours a 4.0 or 4.6? Maybe the wind was just on my side .

Old 09-13-2010, 10:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yeah I only buy stuff from the dealer when I cannot get it anywhere else and I always do my own oil change so I guess I will not get invited.

I am 4.0 right now while I am rebuilding my 4.6. I will start driving it for work again in a few months when I give back my company car. Even though it will load up the miles I would much rather drive it any day of the week.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:36 AM
Pro Wrench

Sometimes they post the events on their websites. You just need to snoop around and then basically call or email them about the event. Then you are on their "list" once you've registered once and will usually get invited for other events.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool trip LRScott! Nice pics too. I can't remember, are you still on bags or did you go coils?

I just got an invite from my dealer for an offroad driving academy trip. I think I'll take them up on it. I didn't buy it from them, but i have had it in there for some bigger service items and since then I get all kinds of invitations for stuff like this.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Pro Wrench

I bought my rover a month after it was neutered and converted to coils. The previous owner even replaced all the airbags with new ones and then found out the compressor was the problem. I guess they gave up and converted it . I would convert it back, but there is plenty of other things needing attention.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:13 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't feel bad LR, I'm in the same situation. Prior Owner got tired of having the bags and stuff fixed and he didn't do his own work so it got costly. Can't say I blame him since he didn't turn wrenches. I've tested all of my components and they seem to work, just need to fit the bags. But I must say I really like the Bilstein coils and shocks too.

Like you said, plenty of other stuff to worry about first. Like my stupid cruise control.

But anyway, thanks for sharing the trip pics. I'm going on a dealer sponsored trip on the 16th.....

Old 09-26-2010, 06:00 PM
Rock Crawling

SELL IT!!!! WHAT!!! I'm glad you have a renewed faith in your Range Rover. These rovers continue to impress me and so many people continue to look at mine when in traffic. Mine is not neutered and all enjoy the ride on and off road. Just came back from taking mine from the NY's Catskill mountains. It's great to get away from all the hussle and bussle. I'm glad you had a blast on your trip. Now off to check out the pictures you put up.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:46 PM
Pro Wrench

Yeah the thought had crossed my mind to sell it. I'm a poor college student so... lol. I recently purchased a 1995 Jaguar XJR (to keep or flip for a profit) and had thought about selling the rover and keeping the jag instead. Well, the rover I have is a diamond. Its in amazing condition for its age and I couldn't ask it to do more. The Jag has ended up being a complete disappointment. Of course it doesn't help that the previous owners beat the living hell out of it either . Poor thing.... That and you can't take it off road . I will definitely be selling the Jaguar.