General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repairs for 2005 range rover

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 11:22 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repairs for 2005 range rover

Hello Everyone

I have a 2005 range rover hse , 70k miles

I just had to replace my front left strut at a indepdent dealer.
I an anticipating the other struts failing in the next year or so. Just to be prepared, does anyone have a step by step on how to replace the struts?
Is it worth doing as a DIY job. What about resetting the computer when I am done? Sounds like I need someone with the computer link to reset it.

It was recommended to me that I replace my belts and belt tensioners.
Does anyone have a step by step on that? I was going to try to tackle that job on my own.

I have a check engine light on my dash. The mechanic checked the codes and it seesm to be the thermostat. Where can I find it in the engine bay?
Does anyone have a step by step for this job? The mechanic also recommended that I replace the 2 hoses that go across the engine because they are old and frayed. I have not see these hoses b/c i do not know where to look. I'm surprised if hoses can get that tired after 70k to need replacement.

I expected problems but not all at once. I love the car and want to keep it for a very long time. I expect problems and I hope with this forum , I can try to do alot of the work myself.

thank again

any feedback would be great.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All of this can be found on the rave service manual. Google "greenoval" and you will find a website to download the ".iso" file that can be mounted or used to make a disc. The disc, or mount will contain the service manual.

A lot of these jobs do not require tons of skill, however. You will need to take your time and cover all your bases. Doing any one of them incorrectly can cause irreversible damage to your car. I would start with your thermostat and hoses, that last thing you need is an overheating rover. Hoses go out every 100k miles or so. It is wise to replace them as a preventive measure. The belts and tensioner are not to difficult either. For now just get yourself familiar with you vehicle and its design in the service manual. You might be surprised just how simple the vehicle really is. If you have any specific questions, feel free to post them. Rovin4life might be on in a bit and might be able to give you step by step instructions.

Last edited by LRScott; 12-29-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:14 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot download the 2005 range rover workshop manual
can anyone email me a copy. It would be much appreciated.

1) my radio is working again all of a sudden
2) I will tackle my thermostat problem this weekend. Will the check engine light go off once i fix this issue?

Old 12-30-2010, 01:52 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The check engine light will go off if you clear the codes and no further problems are detected after you fix the thermostat. I wish I could email you the manual, but its about 500mb, and that max you can send in an email is about 10 to 20mb. Looks like their site is down, should be back though: http://green-oval.com/joomla/index.php