General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RRC Coolant Flush Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 11:48 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RRC Coolant Flush Questions

Greetings,

I'm about to flush the coolant in my '95 Range Rover Classic, and I have a few questions. Aside from disconnecting the lower radiator hose, opening the overflow cap, and opening the radiator cap, do I need to open the engine coolant drain plugs below the manifolds? Also, is there a trick to "burping" any excess air in the system? Could someone give me a brief rundown of the "drain - flush with distilled water - drain - fill with coolant" cycle?

Regards,

Casey

Old 09-30-2017, 01:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

do I need to open the engine coolant drain plugs below the manifolds?
Yes to do a proper flush. Cooling system debris will settle at the lowest points, there's not a tremendous amount of normal coolant flow there to stir/pick it up and carry it elsewhere. Once plugs remove stick your water hose in the thermostat housing/other orifices and let it run for a good while.

When doing my D2 I used a gallon of vinegar and balance of water as a cleaner after initial flush. Ran it for a couple of days, did another thorough flush and then ran water for another day or two. Drained and put new coolant in.

It's a PIA to remove the plugs hence most don't do it but was well worth my effort as it reduced my temps.

There's no reason to use the distilled water during your flush/clean cycles as deposits would not form that quickly.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:18 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response! So, if you don't mind, lets do a run-through of what I'll need to do to thoroughly execute a drain/flush/fill cycle:

1.) Remove overflow tank cap and radiator cap.
2.) Remove lower radiator hose to drain coolant
3.) Remove upper radiator hose and thermostat housing w/ thermostat
4.) Remove engine coolant drain plugs below exhaust manifold
5.) Run hose water through entrance to engine where the thermostat housing connects to the engine
6.) Run hose water through entrance to radiator where the radiator cap connects to the radiator
7.) Reconnect everything, and fill vehicle with distilled water and coolant flush solution. Run for a day.
8.) Drain distilled water and coolant solution by disconnecting everything. Then, reconnect everything, and fill vehicle with coolant.

Does this appear to be a sound plan-of-action? Any tips to burp the system of excess air while I am refilling the system after drainage?

Thanks!

Old 09-30-2017, 03:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Sounds pretty good and I'd just add if you use a flush/clean product be sure to flush well with water after draining it. To get a 50/50 coolant/water mix it's best to use 100% coolant versus the premix unless you remove plugs again for a full drain.

D2 bleed procedure may be different so I'd follow your workshop manual procedure and top off each each morning when cold until all air has been displaced.