General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seafoam..

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 11:44 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seafoam..

Have anybody tried using seafoam for their p38 range rover? If so, was their any improvements?

95' Range Rover white
(170 K)

Old 03-03-2011, 12:25 AM
3rd Gear

Me and a friend used it on our D1's. I didn't notice much but my friend said it made a significant change in his rough idle. I have a can now to use on my D2, just can't remember where to put it. We injected it straight to a vacuum line. Smoked for about 20 minutes or so realllllly bad. Good luck, post the outcome if you use it.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:31 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did it to mine about 2 years ago. Don't know if it improved anything to be honest... A TON of smoke came out during the process. Its definitely a good way to expose exhaust leaks. Discovery owners highly recommend it, and for good reasons. I had the rover a month and then did it. So I can't honestly say if it made a dramatic improvement. Mainly because I did not have the opportunity to compare oil consumption and fuel economy differences. There was an "after" but no "before" to compare it to. I did not hurt anything though, and I would do it again. It got rid of a ticking sound on one of my other cars. That and when put in the oil, will turn clean oil into tar overnight with the amount of sludge it releases.

On an old rangie, I would not expose the rover to it as evasively as they recommend. Meaning, putting a little in the oil and fuel (on a full tank) before each oil change will really help it out, but won't cause engine shock either.

Might take into account that if you have a weak exhaust system, it might foul it up. When this occurs, it usually means it was going to happen shortly anyways, with or without seafoam. Seafoam will just stress it out and cause a problem. On a system that is healthy, it won't harm anything.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:48 AM
Overlanding

I just recently purchase a bottle and was planning on using it this weekend. The majority of people who use seafoam before said it will do no harm to the engine but will make it perform better. I was just making sure because i don't wanna mess up this bad boy. starting to like this vehicle even more =D. Ill post the outcome once i get it done. Thankss

95' Range Rover White
(170k)

Old 03-03-2011, 07:59 AM
Rock Crawling

I use it at least once a year. Don't notice a huge improvement but I also don't have any problems so....?? I put 1/3 in the vacuum lines, 1/3 oil, 1/3 gas.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Mudding

I use it regularly as well, however I am much more careful about it with the Rangie than with my other vehicles. The Jeep I just run a can in via the vac line until it's gone and be done with it. However I use a method like Krazzz does, since my P38 is creeping up on 160k miles and I don't know a whole lot about the first 140k miles she has on her.

I have noticed no improvements really with the Rangie. Really it is preventative maintenance, not a big peformance booster.

I say go for it, but go easy at first.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:38 AM
Overlanding

how did you guys put the seafoam in the vacuum line? and where is it located at? can i put some seafoam in the pcv valve...