General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sync-Mate? or Rover Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 01:24 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Sync-Mate? or Rover Dealer?

I bought an 02 Range Rover that I knew I was going to have to work on myself. I live 100 miles from a Land Rover dealer so I thought I was prepared. I got workshop books, manuals, OBDII readers, metric sockets, etc.... I am ready to go. HOWEVER, two weeks later I still have the same problem. They are as follows.

1. The navigation system is missing.
2. Aftermarket stereo, that marginally works.
3. Subwoofer and amp are gone.
4. Only one FOB and it does not work.
5. Bonnet Open light comes on.

I knew this before I bought it and that was why it so cheap, these can be replaced but for now I list them because someone may say this is all part of the problem.
This thing runs like a top but THEN. It cranks but will not start. I check it the OBDII and nothing. Talk to LR and they say it is the Crankshaft Position Sensor. I have it towed home, investigate it for two hours. Take a nap. It cranks and runs great. Drive several miles and many trips no problem.
A couple of days later, same thing. Cranks, but will not start. Change the CPS. Cranks right up. Move it out of the garage. It will not start. Now gives the P1667 code.
Decide that LR does not know what they are talking about and start on the security system. Cut wires to Bonnet Switch, no more problem there. Find a drivers door handle not tight, fix that. Runs great. Drive several days, 500 miles with no problem then it will not start. Leave it at restaurant over night, and it starts the next morning, having done nothing to it.
Read a bunch of internet posts about the Alarm system, ordered new FOB from LR. Do all kinds of key syncs, sometimes it starts and sometimes it does not. New FOB and Key from LR do not match, they say that the keys and BeCM have been replaced and need to have that done again to get additional key and working FOB.
Now, I never know when it will start. When it does not I check the OBDII and clear the sometimes recurring code P1667. This sometimes allows me to restart the engine. Sometimes, no code, and can not crank. Sometimes I do an EKA and it restarts, sometimes it does not. Sometimes leaving it alone will restart it sometimes not.
I have been reading about alarm and think it has to be there. LR checked out my FOB and said it was working properly. I has no effect on the car.
I was going to take it to LR today and leave it while I am out of town but did not have the four hours to spare to get it there and me back home. NOW THE QUESTION.
IS THIS something the Sync-Mate will clear up?

Old 09-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rick, out of curiosity...did you ever find out what the problem was?

Old 09-07-2011, 08:43 AM
3rd Gear
Default Problem did get solved

Crosbo, thank you for your concern. I spent weeks chasing electrical gremlins and finally had enough of it. After I found and repaired 6 intermittent shorts, I took it to North Texas Rovers and they found 11 more intermittent shorts. These were relatively minor and had they not been tied into the alarm system it would have made no difference. But with this model if the fuel cap hatch is not closed it will not start. So every wire had to be traced and each end unplugged and replugged. In some cases replaced.
I never tried the Sync Mate but with these electrical problems it would have just addressed the symptoms and not the cause. The sync mate if it would have worked would have just allowed me to restart the vehicle with the fault still there, maybe.
Once I gained confidence that when I turned the key it would start, I realized it was one of the greatest vehicles I have ever owned.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Drifting

^^ do you still own it? i agree that my rover is the best vehicle i have owned in many years

Old 09-08-2011, 10:07 AM
3rd Gear

Yes, I still own the Range Rover. As I said in the first post, I got a really good deal on this and initially had some problems, but I expected some of them. It was the electrical problems that drove (actually failed to drive ) me bonkers. For the next two months after I got this fixed, everytime I got in it and turned the key, I was surprised it started. Then I finally decided that it was truely fixed.
I find the seat to be the most comfortable I have ever ridden in. On the highway there is plenty of power but not so much that I find myself going 90 mph everywhere. It seems to love cruising at 73 mph which is perfect but can still pass another car if I want to. Plenty of pep for driving in the city. And it is absolutely second to none off road.
I drove trough a river that was high enough to bend the front license plate and up the other side that was at least 300 yards at 20 degrees with 12 inches of silt washed on the trail. Two Jeep Wranglers were watching and decided not to go. I have never seen a vehicle that could do that let alone owned one. Most of the time off road it simply drive though what ever as if it were not even there. I have to work to spin the tires, other wise it just goes.
As I said, all of this on comfy leather seat in a reasonably quiet interior. Plus it feels like a big truck when driving it (the last 10 years I drove four door diesel Chevy Duellys) but when I pull into a parking space I am surprised at how much space is left around it.
While I am in no mood to change vehicles, my next car will probably be a Range Rover also.