General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

System too Lean

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 04:49 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation System too Lean

Hey everyone,

My name is Austin and I am new to this place also this is my first post. Ive had an 08 Range Rover 4.2L Supercharged for a year now and have done a small stuff here and there to fix it up i.e. new MAF sensor, replaced heater core, cleaned throttle body, etc.

About a month ago I started getting system too lean errors for bank 1. I started with trying to replace the PCV valve and it failed miserably, long story short I got about a mile down the road and white smoke started pouring out of the exhaust. I panicked and put the old one back in and let it idle for a bit, the problem went away except for the code. Tried clearing it and same code came back. At the shop I got a regular oil change and decided to let them do a smoke test. They said the only place it was leaking was the driver side near the fender and told me it was an evap system leak and believed it was the leak detection pump.

Not really sure where to go form here. I have no idea where the leak detection pump is or if it could be the culprit. I wanted to ask for any advice or if someone knew what part is in that area, whether it is the actual pump or an EGR valve? HELP!!!

Old 08-10-2019, 04:37 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Try a new gas cap

Several years ago I got an amber engine light and a pair of “too lean at idle” codes. I did a little research and made a list of possible issues that could initiate the engine codes. The cheapest and quickest fix was a new gas cap, so that’s what I ordered first. I replaced the cap, cleared the codes and drove around town on a few errands. Problem solved - no more check engine light and the lean idle codes never popped up again. Before you do any expensive work to the vehicle, check your gas cap and air intake sensors/filters/hoses/boxes for leaks. And use the OE air filters - my ‘06 Sport and ‘13 Supercharged Sport would throw various engine codes if I used ANY non-OE air filters.