General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tdv8 - p38

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 03:14 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tdv8 - p38

Hi There

Have a 2001 P38 4.6

Have recently brought a TDV8 4.4 from the 2011 range rover with the ZF8HP70
The issue is now that I can't find any ECU for the transmission.

Any one got an idea where to get one, or any idea how to control it an other way then with stock RR ECU?

Smits

Old 12-17-2011, 05:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The ecu is in the valve body of the transmission.
Sooo... Your gonna put this whole set up in your P38??
Thats quite a project.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:41 AM
4wd Low
Default Zf8

Oh that's nice to know.

So only think needed to connect to the gearbox is the electronic shifter? Do you know where to get the wire diagram?

Yes that's the plan! A company in UK have installed a 3.0 TDV6 with the 4HP24! Think it's going to be fun

Old 12-18-2011, 05:59 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, you definitely don't know what the hell you are doing. To do anything like that you have to change the ecu programming and the transmission programming. Yes JE engineering did put a 3.0 into it but they did it by taking the motor and engineering everything and it took quite a few months and engineering and programming. Unless you have an engineering ids and engineering testbook to change the programs you won't get anywhere.

you have the worlds largest paperweight.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:41 AM
4wd Low
Default tdv8

JE engineering is not the only company who did it.

And yes I know what I'm doing, have done all sorts of custom builds.
Only issue here is getting the wiring diagram, which I will find with or without your help... (thanks)

And changing the ECU is not a problem, and should it get a problem, I can always order the simtek ECU and custom build that.
By the way simtek did replace the 4.6 with a 3.0 tdv6 in 3 weeks, so before telling people how dum you think they are, please do your homework!

I didn't ask to heard how difficult the swap is going to be, just asked to find the gearbox ECU, which I got any kind answer to. (Thanks threalassmikeg)

So Rovin4life if you haven't got any to say to what the threat is all about, please keep it for your self!

Old 12-19-2011, 05:23 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

do you have the engine ecu engine harness and trans harness?

Old 12-19-2011, 10:10 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So do you know anything about LR ecu programming for both the transmission and the engine. Cause you have to program everything correctly.

And what are you going to do about the can networks and the lin bus networks.
oh and it will be the worlds largest paperweight cause no one will buy it for what you have into it.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:10 AM
4wd Low
Default tedv8

Yes got the wiring hardness etc. and just got the prices for new ECU etc. so think it will be done within the next 2-3 month thanks.

The electronic is not the issue, it will just take som time. I'm doing the the swap with a LandRover/Range Rover shop here in Denmark, so reading the ecu won't be an issue.

And should everything fail, then we could just order the simtek standalone unit, and get a stand alone unit for the trans. No worries.

Regarding selling the car, I have no plan what so ever. If I wanted to sell the car, and buy the new range rover I would have done it. But the P38 is total custom my overfinch (not the engine, due to it gone out of production in 2002) and autobiography, the price I can get for the car is nothing compared to what the real value is. The car is 4 times more expensive from new then a std. P38!
The car have been in family from new, so the day I want another daily car, I will put the P38 into my car museum.

But will upload a video of the car driving once the swap have been done

Old 12-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Any True Rover lover has spent more then they want to admit, that's not the point. It's in your blood and you just DO IT. Bleed Green. I look forward to the Vid..

Old 12-29-2011, 07:13 AM
4wd Low

lol...someone on a landrover forum talking about poor investments! thats classic.

enjoy your project, sounds like fun.

Quick Reply: Tdv8 - p38