General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of giving in to what appears to be a lack luster dealership

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 11:49 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thinking of giving in to what appears to be a lack luster dealership

Long story short if you haven't viewed my other threads, I went to purchase a 14' ATB with 56,400 miles last week for $59,100, when I received the bill of sale the miles were at 61,250. I felt it was unprofessional and also changed the value of the car so I told them I am no longer interested. This weekend they apologized and informed me the car was never for sale on the lot but it was posted online, they offered the owners numbers and offered to sell it for $58,000. I told them $57,000, with an inspection and detailing from Land Rover and I would consider it. They agreed to do the inspection and detailing but for $58,000. I have 5 dealers looking for the color combo and options that I want for over a month and none of them can find it, I am now thinking I should just go ahead with the $58,000 as they are just shy of trade in value but I wanted trade in cost. The KBB doesn't take into account the additional 8k in options so in actuality it is a good deal but I am just turned off by the dealer, I'm now thinking I shouldn't let them ruin it for me considering it was a CPO vehicle. What would you do?

Old 10-16-2017, 06:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

You obviously want this vehicle, but if it were me I would grab a quick flight and personally inspect it. Something is up, otherwise this would have sold by now. Don't let emotions get in the way of logic. I pay a premium buying from my local dealer, but I know they will stand behind it. Good luck with a random dealer out of state, which is why I would severely low ball them offer wise.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:23 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
You obviously want this vehicle, but if it were me I would grab a quick flight and personally inspect it. Something is up, otherwise this would have sold by now. Don't let emotions get in the way of logic. I pay a premium buying from my local dealer, but I know they will stand behind it. Good luck with a random dealer out of state, which is why I would severely low ball them offer wise.
Land Rover certified it 3 months ago. Luckily another Range Rover forum member saw it in person and said it was in excellent condition so it can't be that it's in poor condition. I also asked for it to be inspected again by Land Rover as a condition before purchasing. I just don't like the way it was all handled with the mileage.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:33 PM
Rock Crawling

The fact that the dealer added a few thousand miles doesn't concern me, as that it very common for management at a dealership to do. Even it being a "prior" CPO doesn't mean anything, as that doesn't carry over to you. I'm not discounting what you have heard from a fellow member, but I would want to see it in person if I was the one purchasing it. If not I stick with my low offer. Having sold vehicles via the internet, including selling to clients overseas, I will tell you that you are behaving exactly like my key accounts that made me money back in the day.

This isn't the only Land Rover that will ever fit what you want, so either play hardball, or wait. If you feel it's perfect for you, fly and inspect. But spending 58K without seeing it firsthand is a risk.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:28 AM
Overlanding

The fact that the dealer added a few thousand miles doesn't concern me, as that it very common for management at a dealership to do. Even it being a "prior" CPO doesn't mean anything, as that doesn't carry over to you. I'm not discounting what you have heard from a fellow member, but I would want to see it in person if I was the one purchasing it. If not I stick with my low offer. Having sold vehicles via the internet, including selling to clients overseas, I will tell you that you are behaving exactly like my key accounts that made me money back in the day.

This isn't the only Land Rover that will ever fit what you want, so either play hardball, or wait. If you feel it's perfect for you, fly and inspect. But spending 58K without seeing it firsthand is a risk.
I always buy site unseen so that thought never crossed my mind. Are you recommending I inspect for mechanical or physical? Because I don't know anything about cars which is the reason I asked for it be inspected by Land Rover again. Yes I'm aware the CPO doesn't transfer to me but that lets me know it was well taken care of to have been a CPO.

The only real problem I had was the miles being ran up but it appears that is more normal than that I thought from what you're saying.

It's heading to the auction tomorrow so I either buy or wait for another dealer to buy it and start the process again.

Last edited by sonyab523; 10-17-2017 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:50 AM
Rock Crawling

If the miles are your only concern and you can get it inspected by a Land Rover dealer today, I say go for it, as I know you want it.

As I mentioned before, every single dealer regardless of brand, new/used, tends to use inventory for personal use. In fact I know of one dealer that the wife and kids all use vehicles from the lot. Very common. Heck, the owner of the local Chevy dealership lives in my neighborhood, and he drives a new Chevy home every evening. Some days a Corvette, sometimes its crew cab. Never puts more than a couple hundred miles on any one vehicle. He intentionally parks them outside, as it's free advertising for his dealership in a very wealthy area. I honestly don't know of a manager or dealer owner that has ever driven anything but something from inventory.

The following users liked this post:
sonyab523 (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 10:19 AM
Overlanding

If the miles are your only concern and you can get it inspected by a Land Rover dealer today, I say go for it, as I know you want it.

As I mentioned before, every single dealer regardless of brand, new/used, tends to use inventory for personal use. In fact I know of one dealer that the wife and kids all use vehicles from the lot. Very common. Heck, the owner of the local Chevy dealership lives in my neighborhood, and he drives a new Chevy home every evening. Some days a Corvette, sometimes its crew cab. Never puts more than a couple hundred miles on any one vehicle. He intentionally parks them outside, as it's free advertising for his dealership in a very wealthy area. I honestly don't know of a manager or dealer owner that has ever driven anything but something from inventory.
I figured some owners do it but not to that extent, he was really enjoying himself to put 5,200 miles in 3 months.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:30 PM
Overlanding

I decided I could add $300 to the value due to the deployable side steps since I am 5'1 and really need them, so $57,300 was my bottom number. They countered at $57,500 which I was expecting. I said are you really going to let a deal go over $200? The seller then said he thinks the owner is done negotiating, he was told to give me that price and send it to the auction tomorrow morning. I said ask him again, let's be done with this and I'll have the payment there by Friday. They finally agreed. I feel more comfortable at that price so I'm satisfied.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

I put 5k on my LR3 in 2 months, pretty normal for me sadly.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sight unseen

I have
(1) Bought without seeing car (bad idea was crap)
(2) Bought with no test drive (Got away with that one but on the next not so good)
(3) Used a local member of another forum to go look for me and take pictures sent him a check for $100.00 for his gas and time Worked out well.
Just my $.02

Quick Reply: Thinking of giving in to what appears to be a lack luster dealership