General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me on range rovers

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default School me on range rovers

If there is a topic on this I cannot find, please post link..

We have decided it's time to get my wife a larger car. She currently drives our 2004 discovery and I have a passat wagon. She was looking at getting a Tahoe, once I pointed out she could get a newer model range rover for the same price as a recent 4x4 Tahoe with navigation she was excited.

I am thinking a 2005 or 2006 because I would like to keep in the years with more suspension travel, however I am not opposed to a newer model. What are major differences? What do I look for? I have had 2 Yukons in the past and had more problems than our disco (in family since new) so how would I expect the range rover to hold up? Only looking at full size, no sport.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by taylor15; 09-19-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:55 PM
1st Gear

I've had two full size range rovers, a 2006 and 2008. I haven't had a problem with either one. I would obviously run a car fax on it to make sure there are no significant issues with electrical, transmission, etc. I would also lift the vehicle on a lift to look at the undercarriage to make sure there's no abuse.

Most of these are driven by soccer moms so if you can find one of those, I think you'd be well suited.

I would set out on ebay and give myself a month to find the right one and be ready to pounce on it when you find it. For example, a couplf of months ago I saw a 2008 SuperCharge with 16k miles for $55k. That was a deal.

I've had to HSEs and the power is more than enough for me. But you might want to drive a super charged one to see if its more to your liking although expect to pay a premium of an additional $10-15k for the super charge.

Good luck.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:23 PM
Mudding

Wow only 16k on an 08? That's crazy!

No one else has anything to add? Over in the disco forums there are buyer guides. Nothing to look out for etc?

Old 09-13-2012, 02:54 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by taylor15
Wow only 16k on an 08? That's crazy!

No one else has anything to add? Over in the disco forums there are buyer guides. Nothing to look out for etc?
I'm guessing that's because most of us have a Disco or an older Range Rover - and we're to poor to afford a 2008 Rangie! Lol They are nice vehicles but I personally don't know anything about them, did you try contacting Disco-Mike?

Your best bet is start with a comprehensive Google search. Look up prices, ratings, crash test ratings, features, owner reviews, pictures, engine and mechanical specs etc. Wikedia is a good starting point. Consider purchasing a range rover specific magazine, consider calling a land rover dealership or a land rover specific shop and ask them about the range rovers etc. If your gonna spend $50-95k on a Range Rover then prepare yourself by doing plenty of research before you buy.

I'm not an expert but I doubt the range rover has much more room than a Discovery 4 (LR4). For half the price you could always get a LR4 instead? Alternatively you could get a newer Defender 110.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:08 AM
Mudding

I would love a 110, but this one is going to be the kids car. I'll sell my passat and finally be able mod the disco.
I hadn't though too much about it, but I be I could sell her on an lr3/4 based on 3rd row alone. I would rather have that. And don't worry, I looking at 05-07 rangies for around 25k. I could never see spending 55k for a supercharged..

Old 09-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove a newer RR for the first time at auction. I fell in love with it lol. It was funny, the condition report was: "engine knock, suspension issues, check engine light, steering system malfunction, etc." the list went on for awhile. I knew these things could be troublesome, but when I fired it up the "knock" was a tick and went away within a few minutes. The suspension "issue" was nothing more than the inactive message requiring the steering wheel to be turned from lock to lock for calibration, and there was no check engine light. Everything was working properly. Maybe it just liked me... I sure liked it!

The LR3 is a great alternative to the RR, it also drives very nice. I almost bought one but couldn't seem to part with my old RR that just won't die, that and it averages 17mpg. One day, it will die of course. I will have a hard time deciding between a RR and LR3/4. If I were to buy a RR I would shoot for 06 on up, they have the Jag V8, which I'm familiar with and is an excellent engine.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:56 PM
4wd Low

I went from a 2010 Ford Expedition Limited with seating for 7 to a 2010 RR Supercharged with seating for 5. I miss the two extra seats but one of my children will be 16 in May, so that will free up one seat when she is driving her own car! The cargo space is a good deal smaller than the Ford, but now when we travel, we just have an excuse to pack light! If you NEED the extra seating and can't compromise, there is your answer!

Old 09-19-2012, 08:22 PM
Mudding

I think I have convinced her to go the lr3 route. There are a few 07-08 models close by with low miles that I am going to look at. I found a nice green one, but she grew weary of her first disco that was green so I guess it may be white..time will tell. Thanks for the responses guys.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I bought an '06 full-size Supercharged off lease in '09. The truck had everything you could ever imagine. Most if not all the electrics/computers where from BMW. Outstanding ride! I miss the hell out of it. If it wasnt for my divorce I'd still have it. Then, again I'm glad I dont

Watch out for '05 and older Rangies w/ the BMW 4.0 engine. They had several issues with the cooling systems. Check for leaks. My '06 Supercharged was a Jag 4.2

Tons and tons of electrics and things to go wrong. Check to make sure the air suspension works in all modes. Check operation of the front and rear parking sensors. Common failure.

If you opt for the '06 Supercharged. Xheck to make sure the Supercharger aux cooling pump has been wired correctly. My '06 along with every other one that rolled off the production line had them wired backwards.

If you find a solid Rangie, get it. You won't be disappointed. Trust me.