General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Range Rover Westminster Please help

Old 11-17-2011, 03:22 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Range Rover Westminster Please help

I have a problem with my car. I went out of town for a week and when I get back my battery was completely dead. The alarm wouldn't open up the car I had to manually open with key. I put my key in the ignition and it wouldnt turned so i tried moving the steering wheel at the same time and now it locked up. I tried putting a jump box on the battery when its connected nothing happens not even the lights work. Its just dead. So I called up Range Rover and they said that most likely its the steering column which the part alone is 2k dollars. I think that doesnt sound right and its more of an issue with the battery or the security system just locked up. Any ideas?

Old 11-17-2011, 04:58 PM
Mudding

make sure you have a really good jump starter these thing have very high crank.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

first put a new battery in the truck dont try jumping it as you may damage other components,

also look at the hatch lights to see if they are on with all of the doors closed.
NOTE dont open the hatch to open the security cover reach it from the back seats. close the doors after installing the battery all the lights should go out.
If the hatch lights stay on then open the hatch and close it thet lights should go out
once this is done then try starting the truck.
also check if the final stage resistor has failed in the HVAC system

Old 11-18-2011, 05:45 PM
Drifting
Thumbs up

For starters, you might want to take out the battery and drop it off at a local Auto Zone, O'reilly's, or AAMCO to have them tested it out! If it turns out to be the battery, I would suggest you get a Internstate Mega Tron Battery, but that's completely up to you. As for the components of not being able to unlock or lock your vehicle with the keyless entry, chances are that maybe your Body Control Unit, which happen to be located under your passenger seat. Chances are that it have, possibly burned out, but you won't know that unless you can check your battery first. Don't try to jump start your RR, because it might end up costing a hell of a lot more in case other electrical parts end up going out because of that. If you have further questions, don't hesitate to hit me up. Good luck with that and keep that RR running strong....

Old 11-20-2011, 09:03 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually those batterys take a lot to get jumped. Like they said take it may need a new battery. And don't skimp out or else you are screwing yourself.

Anyway once you get full power the steering wheel will unlock. if it doesn't its possible it could be the steering wheel itself as the steering wheel module is located inside it and can't be separated. Plus it doesn't come separate. Trust me it sucks. Had a guy keep blowing fuse 18 for the steering column and obviously couldnt' start the vehicle or turn it.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Mudding

just jump the battery right. dont over think things

Old 11-21-2011, 06:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just jump the battery right. dont over think things

I dont advise this^^^

You can damage the alternator diodes and possibly damage the computers with the voltage spikes from jumping a dead battery,
the alternator isnt made to charge a dead battery it is meant to carry the load once the battery has started the car.

In this case smart thinking should restore the function of the vehicle