Range Rover Classic (1st Gen) Talk about the Land Rover Range Rover Classic within.

Death Wobble After Replacing Some Steering Bits

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 09:47 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Death Wobble After Replacing Some Steering Bits

Getting random inconsistent death wobble .. always set off by a small bump which twitches the steering just right and sets a progressive violent wobble that only gets worse until you come to a full stop.

The first time it occurred was immediately after (5 minutes) replacing the ball joints on the steering linkage (trailing arm that connects the backsides of the front hubs), replacing steering damper bushings, and repacking front wheel bearings. Work was done at a very reputable Land Rover mechanic, but I'm thinking that maybe tightening some of the steering components exacerbated this new issue. I had my girl rock the steering and there isn't anything in the system which has any obvious gross play.

Happened once at highway speeds and it nearly flipped the vehicle before I could slow the truck down enough. I should mention that this 95 RRC LWB has a 4" suspension lift, 35" tires, and a full-size camper in the back ...the truck is TALL (10'). So violent death wobble is about as dangerous as it gets with my set-up.

I've read a lot on these forums about death wobble and it seems like it could be any part of the steering or suspension or tire systems, and could be something small and not obvious. Sounds like a fun one :/

Hoping someone can set me down the right path before I replace every bushing and bearing on the car!

Old 06-16-2018, 12:42 AM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Sounds like you already had worn swivel pin bearings and the new parts just made the death wobble more pronounced. When the shakes happen it’s always good to have a change of underwear!
Time to replace the swivel pins and adjust the preload.
Also check the Panhard Rod bushings for play.
This is very common in a RRC and DI.

Last edited by OverRover; 06-16-2018 at 12:54 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:58 AM
Overlanding

Well... has been on my list anyways... Are you recommending new swivel PINS or the bearings... or both? Didn't realize the pins wore out, figured it was more of a bearing thing.

I also noticed I have a LOT of play in the steering box. Although I think that problem is only making the wobble worse, but is not the original cause of the wobble.

Appreciate you helping set the course. Now to find a garage someone will let me work in...

Old 06-16-2018, 08:11 AM
Overlanding

The more I think about my wobble... seems likely to be swivel bearings or very badly worn wheel bearings (not my case as they were just repacked, and I'm assuming inspected). Nothing else would cause a resonating wobble that isn't speed dependent, random in nature, and gets progressively worse until you come to a complete stop. Have a hard time imagining much else could create these symptoms.

I'm thinking about tightening the pre-load on my swivel bearings this morning to prevent needing to wear Depends each time I drive until a swivel kit is shipped in.

Last edited by RoverLife_; 06-16-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:30 AM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

I probably should have said " Time for a swivel pin service...", and for me it's everything.
I wrecked a '93 RRC (rolled it at 55+ mph) because of Death Wobble and the word "death" was almost literal.
Replace the Upper & Lower Pins, bearing, shims, ALL seals (including stub axle & abs sensor seals), etc.
Swivel ***** (#8, bearing housing) get replaced if needed (75% of the time they get replaced).
I like to baseline ALL of these parts with NEW, then and only then do I know this service was done right the 1st time.
Besides it's a service with too much to remove and then need to go back in for something stupid.

You can get all these bits separately, or in kit form. Lucky8, Rovahfarm, etc are great sources.
> RovahFarm for all your new Land Rover Parts and Accessories

RE: " a LOT of play in the steering box", PLEASE DON'T try to adjust the box to reduce the play!!!
Bad things happen when you try to do this with an old/worn steering box.
And also have a good look at the joints in the steering shaft for play.

I'm sure you know there are a few good vids on Ytube re: the swivel pin service.
Here is an example for a D90 (it's a 10 part video) to give you an idea of what's involved. That's all I got.

Last edited by OverRover; 06-16-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:09 PM
Overlanding

Appreciate all the insight OverRover ..

I finally had the truck on a lift today, but couldn't see any play at all in the swivel joints (and this is tugging on 35" wheels ... some leverage there). There was play in the 3 and 9 o'clock position (both wheels moving together as my steering linkage end links are new and tight)... which I'm guessing that play translates back to steering gearbox play.

BUT the big area where I found play was the front radius arm bushings. Is it really possible to get major death wobble from warm control arm bushings?

If I can't get any play from the swivel bearings, is there any reason why they should still be suspect?

Last edited by RoverLife_; 06-16-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:12 AM
Overlanding

The real fix ended up being replacing the swivel bearings. I ended up getting the full brit part kit with swivel *****, bearings ... the whole bit. I also ended up getting new tires, and replacing every ball joint in the suspension (they were all trashed from out latest trip to Panama). Two weeks after doing all the work, I swerved to miss a driver who cut me off, put the truck into a huge ditch and the steering wheel was knocked about a half turn out of place. Just my luck ... but anything is better than death wobble, which hasn't returned (driven across the US and down the East Coast since).