Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Range Rover L322 (3rd Gen) (https://landroverforums.com/forum/range-rover-l322-3rd-gen-57/)
-   -   Stalls while driving, dead accelerator, intermittent (https://landroverforums.com/forum/range-rover-l322-3rd-gen-57/stalls-while-driving-dead-accelerator-intermittent-90798/)

ssblast20 08-09-2018 08:49 PM

Stalls while driving, dead accelerator, intermittent

Hey guys, a few days ago my 2004 HSE "stalled" on me while driving....I was accelerating and then in started to die, sputtering and when I pressed the accelerator, nothing was happening - no engine revving, like a dead pedal. I parked it for a bit and it did eventually re-start after a few times and I made it home just a mile away.

I was going to take it to a local shop, but wanted to do some digging on my own first. I have a nice OBD reader, but not LR specific. I got one code - P1114 "ambient temp sensor". I cleared the code, then it did start right up today and I drove it probably 30 miles with no issues. Then on the way home (10 mile trip) it died on me - same issue. I would stop on the side of the road, it would restart briefly, but completely "dead pedal" and would quit in like 5-10 seconds. With the intent on making it home, I tried disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes, and it would start again, and drive pretty normal, for a few miles. I repeated that process successfully until it got me home, but it probably took 6 times in 10 miles....then it died on my street and I coasted home downhill (engine cut off). Tonight a few hours later, the Rover starts right up and idles/sounds fine, and my guess is it would run fine for another several miles (1,5,10, 25?) before this happens again.

Again, after testing tonight, I have one code - P1114. Possible causes based on my initial searching - throttle position sensor, coolant temp sensor, or throttle body itself. That said, I'm looking to see if any of you have thoughts on what might be going on here based on what I'm describing? Thanks in advance.

ssblast20 08-16-2018 08:56 PM

Well, following up on my own thread. Since they were cheap, I ordered a new TPS, a temp sensor, and a used throttle body ($80 total). Went out to the Rover to start replacing....took the engine cover off, went to remove the throttle body and noticed that the hose to the throttle body was loose and off the body by about 1/2 inch. So, the throttle body was not able to operate properly. A couple months ago when it was in for service (valve cover gaskets, etc) it looks like they did not tighten the large hose clamp as it was super loose. Nothing better then a 3-minute resolution to a Rover issue! And I've got some extra parts for when those go bad one day. Win-win.

Geo 08-25-2018 01:33 PM

Happy ending! ....no, not that kind, but very satisfying either way