Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Range Rover P38 (2nd Gen) (https://landroverforums.com/forum/range-rover-p38-2nd-gen-56/)
-   -   2000MY (bosch) P38 Range Rover - no start (https://landroverforums.com/forum/range-rover-p38-2nd-gen-56/2000my-bosch-p38-range-rover-no-start-92326/)

Daniel1957 11-27-2018 10:11 PM

2000MY (bosch) P38 Range Rover - no start

I have purchased a 2000MY P38 Range Rover - the 4.6 litre engine has the bosch engine management system.
The previous owner let the car battery go flat and when I hook up a good battery to it it gives me a message about entering a code etc.

What do I do to get it working properly?
Any and all help appreciated!

ArmyRover 11-27-2018 10:17 PM

The code it's asking for is most likely for the radio. Do you have fuel pressure, and spark?

Daniel1957 11-27-2018 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by ArmyRover (Post 671121)
The code it's asking for is most likely for the radio. Do you have fuel pressure, and spark?

No, it doesn't get anywhere near that far!
I am well aware of how to code a radio back into a truck BECM.

Like I posted, when the ignition key is turned to ignition, the message centre asks for the code.
The truck battery was left flat for months and the BECM has lost all settings possibly the key remote codes etc.

ma7amad 12-03-2018 03:58 PM

hi daniel; did you start the engine yet ?
usually with new or charged battery installed the instrument cluster will show "engine disable press remote" message if the remote working then by pressing lock/unlock and start the engine also you can do the lock/unlock from the door, i used to do that with both cars one by remote and the other mechanically from the door as i had battery drainage for months. so try to ignore the code and see what happen. i never see any code on the message display for almost 10 years of ownership.

Daniel1957 12-03-2018 04:47 PM

Yes thank you ma7amad

I left the battery connected and played around with the remote lock and unlock and similarly with key in door.
I then tried and the engine fires instantly.
The truck had been parked up with no battery for 2.5 years.
It now behaves perfectly.
Jaguar Land Rover come back to me with the EKA code but I never needed it.
The only codes that now come up is a message that fuse 8 is missing and that the EAS is on manual.
And the climate control display is blank.
More investigations required for those 3 issues.

My next task is to remove the coil kit and replace the factory EAS.
The previous owner had spent $1,000 putting in a coil suspension kit - what a goose!
It completely spoils the ride of the truck,
I am now sourcing air bags, sensors, EAS controls and air compressor.

Fastercat 12-05-2018 09:59 PM

Daniel where are you located?

Daniel1957 12-05-2018 10:46 PM

Located Hunter Valley, NSW, Australia

Fastercat 12-09-2018 02:39 PM

Sorry Daniel I’m in Canada, a little far away for swapping parts lol