Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Range Rover P38 (2nd Gen) (https://landroverforums.com/forum/range-rover-p38-2nd-gen-56/)
-   -   Maintenance on V8 4.6 Liter (Bosch injection 60 D Engine Code) (https://landroverforums.com/forum/range-rover-p38-2nd-gen-56/maintenance-v8-4-6-liter-bosch-injection-60-d-engine-code-115676/)

Martin G 01-25-2023 03:10 PM

Maintenance on V8 4.6 Liter (Bosch injection 60 D Engine Code)

Hello all,

Enjoying my RR for more then 7 years now.
Electrical issues and EAS aside that were fixable, i now dive into the V8 Engine.

330,000 km, and pressure build-up in my cooling system, engine runs hot.

So I will soon replace my head gaskets of the V8 4.6 Liter Bosch injection (60 D Engine code)

1: Does anyone have experience with replacing the standard head bolts to the better "head studs"?

2: The crankshaft Chain to camshaft is it ever replaced at a number of km's? or the sprockets themselves?

3: When i open up the Engine anyway, what else can i replace preventively?

or other tips are also welcome :-)

Greetings Martin

Aedhasdad 01-25-2023 03:34 PM

Pressure Build up is usualy caused by the engine block overheating and cracking between 2 (or more) cylinders and the sleaves "slip" down a fraction of an Inch and cause a gap between the block and the head gasket.

Prevention is eaiser - replace the sleaves with "top hatted" new ones, that cant slip down due to the new rims.

A tell tale is your coolant being spat out the exhaust pipe over time.

Best fix if its this bad, replace the engine.

Martin G 01-25-2023 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Aedhasdad (Post 853384)
Pressure Build up is usualy caused by the engine block overheating and cracking between 2 (or more) cylinders and the sleaves "slip" down a fraction of an Inch and cause a gap between the block and the head gasket.

Prevention is eaiser - replace the sleaves with "top hatted" new ones, that cant slip down due to the new rims.

A tell tale is your coolant being spat out the exhaust pipe over time.

Best fix if its this bad, replace the engine.

Hello Aedhasdad,

Thanks for your fast reply.

Yes i ve heard about those Cilinder Sleeves to move around, when the block has cracks.
The Sleeves get lubricated from the leaking Coolant at the exterior side of the Sleeve , or something..?

Tomorrow i want to make time to take of the 2 Heads already... to visually inspect the Headgasket.
Hopefully that tells already something, if they come off decently, and i dont ruin the Gasket myself by tearing it apart.

When i dont see anything visually wrong on the Head gasket... I should seriously worry Right?

How can i distinguish in an easy way which issue i have?
the Sleeve problem/cracks...
or
the simpler / regular head gasket issue?
Pressurize the Short block (when the heads are off) with some manifolds on the big coolant openings?
Are those tools avaliable somewhere?

Greetings Martin

Aedhasdad 01-25-2023 06:51 PM

You should see a difference between sleeves flush and sleeves that have slipped down the cylinder wall.

the block cracking, releases the “grip” on the sleeve and they slip.

the head gaskets might well be intact as the gasses leak between the block and the cooling jackets, or down the sides of the sleeves.

im sorry this has happened to you.

Martin G 01-25-2023 07:03 PM

Thanks Aedhasdad,

Yes i ll check that. Fingers crossed...

Harvlr 01-27-2023 10:34 AM

Martin, as your questions are about the engine, not the P38 vehicle, you will get a lot more traffic if you post in the Disco 1 or 2 section of the forum (the engines are identical).

Martin G 01-28-2023 09:18 AM

Hello Harvlr,
Good idea
Can this thread be copied, into that FORUM/ thread?

Best regards
Martin

Harvlr 01-28-2023 01:02 PM

I don’t know the answer. You could probably copy and paste your original post