Range Rover Sport L320 (2005-2013) Talk about the Land Rover Range Rover Sport within.

Anyone here switch from an RRS to an LR3?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 04:51 AM
4wd Low
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone here switch from an RRS to an LR3?

Curious if anyone here has made the switch from an RRS to an LR3, or vice versa? Even if you've driven both extensively, I'd love to hear opinions on what you liked/disliked comparing the two!

Currently have my 2007 RRS which I love, but I'm considering swapping it for an LR3 for more usable interior room (hauling family/friends), and because quite honestly I love the look of a black lifted LR3 with aggressive tires

I'm worried that I'll regret the switch, the supercharged 4.2 is such a fantastic engine, I'm not sure the 4.4 is going to feel adequate. Not that I need a fast SUV, but having that immediate power on tap at all times is a fantastic feeling.

Thanks!

Ryan

Old 02-05-2019, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

I have driven both quite a bit on and off road. They Are both fantastic machines.

The supercharged motor is a huge power gain over the LR3. Also I feel the sport handles much better on road with a lower center of gravity (my perception). I also like the driver position and seats better. Off-road the Sport is very capable and does a fine job. For overland I feel it is to tight inside.

That same cockpit feel carries over to the cargo area. It just can't swallow the gear like the LR3.

I feel like the 3 is slower stock to stock even more so on big tires. I am nearly on 33's and when I drive the stock LR3 it feels like a race car. The sport on 33s feels slightly quicker.

Off Road I feel like the 3 is better than the sport. Can't prove it is but it feels more capable. The space inside is immense and the fold flat seats are a win. Then there is the sight lines they are so much better on the 3. There are more options for armor etc

For a daily driver light off road and short overland the RRS is fantastic. If you are going for longer trips or more difficult off road LR3 for the win
​​

Last edited by ArmyRover; 02-05-2019 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:58 PM
4wd Low
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
I have driven both quite a bit on and off road. They Are both fantastic machines.

The supercharged motor is a huge power gain over the LR3. Also I feel the sport handles much better on road with a lower center of gravity (my perception). I also like the driver position and seats better. Off-road the Sport is very capable and does a fine job. For overland I feel it is to tight inside.

That same cockpit feel carries over to the cargo area. It just can't swallow the gear like the LR3.

I feel like the 3 is slower stock to stock even more so on big tires. I am nearly on 33's and when I drive the stick LR3 it feels like a race car. The sport on 33s feels slightly quicker.

Off Road I feel like the 3 is better than the sport. Can't prove it is but it feels more capable. The space inside is immense and the fold flat seats are a win. Then there is the sight lines they are so much better on the 3. There are more options for armor etc

For a daily driver light off road and short overland the RRS is fantastic. If you are going for longer trips or more difficult off road LR3 for the win
​​

Very good insight, thank you!

Old 03-31-2019, 01:44 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both. A black LR3 with aggressive tires ;-) and a new-to-me 2014 RRS supercharged dynamic. I was going to sell my LR3, as the RR has tow package and I rarely need the extra seats. The room in the RR is sufficient. That being said, I don't think I'll get much $ for the LR3 and I am emotionally connected to it. We have spent so much time together (and I have replaced everything that can break). To answer your question, the RRSS dynamic is crazy fast and more powerful. I can't climb over curbs and make illegal u-turns in it however. 22" rims and all without rim damage. I found that out the hard way. Also, when I do need the extra seats (like once a year with extended family)...that is nice to have. The other big difference is the handling. The LR3 is so soft in corners. I did convert it to coil-overs so it would not leave me stranded with a bad air shock off-roading. Even prior to that, it was pretty bad around corners. All that being said, I love both. I will probably ditch the LR3 when I get beefy tires and outfit my RR for off-road in a couple years.

The following users liked this post:
Ryan... (04-01-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Which coil overs did you go with?

Old 03-31-2019, 08:38 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure! :-) British 4x4 did it in Midvale UT for $1200 two years ago. I actually would like stiffer coils, the ride is a little too soft.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

I just went from the standard lift coils to the Old Man Emu HD 2” Coils from Lucky8 very pleased with the results. The ride is much firmer and the body roll is much more controlled.

I’m taking it off road for the first time since I installed them this coming weekend at Rovers At Wintergreen. I am looking forward to seeing how they do