ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

2007 Shelby Mustang SVT

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 01:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Shelby Mustang SVT

this is awesome!!!

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/featu...?release=20294

NEW YORK, March 23, 2005 -- For the past six months, Christopher Ihara says his rumor mill has been going "full tilt."

As the manager of Corral.net, one of the largest Mustang enthusiast sites on the web, Ihara has presided over message boards that have been abuzz about the next-generation high-performance Ford Mustang.

"There are a lot of people chomping at the bit," Ihara said.

Ihara isn't the only one being squeezed for information. Grant Guzowski, sales representative at Capistrano Ford in San Diego, said he has fielded questions from hundreds of customers.

"I've had people ask about what SVT is doing," said Guzowski. "We have a lot of enthusiasts for Cobra, Focus and Lightning. They all want to see more SVT."

The time has come for Ihara and Guzowski to address their enthusiast customers.

Making its debut at the 2005 New York International Auto Show, the Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 is the most powerful Mustang ever from the factory. A production version of the GT500 will go on sale in 2006. It will be followed by a steady stream of performance products developed by SVT, including the Sport Trac Adrenalin, the industry's first high-performance sport-utility truck, in 2007.

The number Ihara and Guzowski will most likely recite when describing the Shelby Cobra GT500 is 450, as in 450 horsepower and 450 pounds-feet of torque generated from a supercharged 5.4-liter DOHC V-8 engine. The 5.4-liter engine was first put into service in the limited-edition 2000 SVT Mustang Cobra R, a car that Car and Driver magazine ran from 0 to 60 mph in 4.7 seconds and from 0 to 100 in 11 seconds -- without a supercharger.

"The Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 is going to be the most capable, most powerful Mustang that Ford or SVT or Carroll Shelby has ever introduced," said Hau Thai-Tang, Director of Advanced Product Creation and SVT. "The car really builds on the race-proven Mustang platform. Many people may not know that we are racing the Mustang today in the Grand Am Cup series and it's doing very well. It won its first time out beating the best that Europe and Japan had to offer. And now we're taking that platform and building on it."

The cast-iron block, four-valve 5.4-liter V8 engine is force-fed a mixture of air and fuel via a supercharger at 8.5 pounds per square inch of boost. According to SVT, Ford GT-derived aluminum cylinder heads, piston rings and bearings bring a high-level of proven durability to the drivetrain, and upgraded cooling components promise longevity. To make a visual statement, "Powered by SVT" is cast into both side camshaft covers. The engine is mated to a T-56 six-speed manual transmission.

To help bring the GT500 to a stop, SVT fit 14-inch cross-drilled Brembo rotors up front and 13-inch discs in the rear. The show car shown in New York has 19-inch wheels, and SVT engineers also retuned and upgraded the shocks, spring rates and upgraded stabilizer bars to increase the Mustang's handling ability.

To visually distinguish the Shelby Cobra GT500 from a standard Mustang, Le Mans-style white stripes run from nose to tail. GT500 nomenclature is prominent in the lower bodyside racing stripe. There's also unique front and rear fascias, a functional heat-extracting hood and Shelby and SVT badging.

Inside, the interior gets black leather on top of the dash, door panels, center arm rest, shift lever, shift boot and parking-brake handle. There are SVT Red leather seating surfaces and door panel inserts with Ebony black leather bolsters and trim.

"The new Mustang has classic design cues from some of the best-looking Mustangs of all-time, including the Shelbys," said Keith Rogman, Mustang senior designer. "The design of the GT500 has been at the forefront of our minds since the outset of the entire Mustang program."

During some pre-production work on the car in Dearborn, Carroll Shelby -- the legendary race car driver who first put his name on a Mustang in 1964 when Ford asked him to inject some high performance into the new Mustang -- spent time driving and testing a GT500 prototype. Afterwards, he had good things to say.

"I knew the car looked good. I knew it should be an excellent car," said Shelby. "But when I got into it and drove it, I said the same thing that everyone is going to say when they drive it, and that's 'wow.' The car feels like it has a lot more horsepower than it has. But not only that, it gets the power down the ground. It's everything I've dreamed of. I can't tell you how proud I am to be a part of SVT and this car."

Old 04-19-2005, 11:36 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2007 Shelby Mustang SVT

That car is wicked HAWT!!

Old 04-19-2005, 02:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seen that a while back but it is awesome, I can't affford anything like that but maybe one day I will get into somthing of that magnatude.

Old 04-27-2005, 03:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that would be so nice. i'd get two, a convertible and a hard top. the hard top i think i would modify with a different pulley on the blower and maybe a full exhaust system complete with cutouts so i can run open header