Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   ROAMING WITH FRIENDS (https://landroverforums.com/forum/roaming-friends-6/)
-   -   Almost.... Rescue in Les Comes, Spain (https://landroverforums.com/forum/roaming-friends-6/almost-rescue-les-comes-spain-90156/)

Theshire4x4 06-24-2018 01:03 AM

Almost.... Rescue in Les Comes, Spain

ahab 06-24-2018 10:31 PM

That was unbelievable. I watched with my jaw on the floor. That was a text book example of how not to do pretty much everything in the video. After the initial attempt up the rock the driver beat the living sh!t out of the driveline trying to get the truck to move again while stuck on the incline. He should have let the truck roll to the bottom and then started the ascent all over again. Instead he kept trying to use more rpm to offset gravity until parts flew off it due to the strain on the driveline. Then his buddy slid under the truck while the it was still running, and the driver clearly didn't have a clue what he was doing. Once they all decided to shut it down and try to reattach the orphaned parts, the other guy chocked the wrong wheel. Upon clearing that hurdle, the driver tried to get it going with a huge rock up against the passenger wheel, again stressing the clutch, u-joints, etc. Then the truck slid/crabbed down the rock with a few guys hanging off he side, the truck looking like it could topple at any moment.

Someone please tell me I don't have a clue what I'm talking about and that was a successful day on the trail. I don't know much about offroading but that all looked so unnatural to me that I can't imagine it was supposed to go down like that.

The Deputy 06-25-2018 08:14 AM

If you notice, his tires don't seem to be aired-down. Hard tires and rock are not a good combination.

Watching that short wheel base rover...reminds me why I like slightly longer wheel base vehicles.

Yes, I'd probably let the rover get to the bottom of the hill...before changing the driveshaft.

Good video though, for educational purposes.

Brian.

Richard Gallant 06-28-2018 01:52 PM

Nice trying to steer with the brakes locked, that never works out well either.

Pretty much looks an inexperienced driver, once they got it running looks like they could have have gone forward to the right. Did a 100 point turn and drove down the hill to try again.

The guys hanging off the side I have done that a myself, it does work but you should have an experienced driver at the wheel.

But we all have to learn, and it is still an interesting video for sure.

Friday Night Disco 07-01-2018 03:51 PM

The dog flying out the back made me laugh

queue the Benny Hill theme song

wjsj69 07-01-2018 05:10 PM

Keeee-ripes!!!

ArmyRover 07-01-2018 09:55 PM

That is not the "A" team for sure. Lucky for them none are in the running for a Darwin award