Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   ROAMING WITH FRIENDS (https://landroverforums.com/forum/roaming-friends-6/)
-   -   Is this a good CB Radio? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/roaming-friends-6/good-cb-radio-23397/)

Camdisco24 07-11-2009 12:28 PM

Is this a good CB Radio?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cobra-19-Ultra-I...3A1%7C294%3A50

Its a Cobra 19 Ultra III Citizen Band 40 channel CB Radio, I am planning on joining a rover club next year and they said its helpful to have a CB radio, plus I've always wanted one. Is this a good one or should I pass up? Also, do they generally need a antenna to work well?

Thanks!

Street Wolf 07-11-2009 02:25 PM

Not the greatest, but Cobra is a good brand. If your just going to use it from time to time at get togethers then it'll be fine, and yes. You'll need an antenna.

Spike555 07-11-2009 02:58 PM

You are going to want a "whip" antenna for off roading, no fiberglass ones like Firestik.

hazletbassist89 07-11-2009 03:01 PM

There is always those little spring mounts though. Just gotta be wary of it whiplashing around and hitting a window or something

Street Wolf 07-11-2009 03:25 PM

The Firestick I had would bend nearly into a full circle.

Camdisco24 07-11-2009 04:49 PM

Great, thanks for the info. It be used for recreational use only so i dont need the top of the line. I'll be on the lookout for an intenna, I saw a write up on mounting them behind the spare tire so that will be another project I can work on this summer.

hazletbassist89 07-11-2009 06:13 PM

That's what I did with mine, Cam. Piece of cake, mine even came with a little bracket, just had to drill 2 holes in the tire carrier and it bolted right on. Ran the wire inside through a slit in the weather stripping, then tucked under the headliner to the front where I mounted my radio.

Camdisco24 07-11-2009 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Street Wolf (Post 126425)
The Firestick I had would bend nearly into a full circle.

So... is that a good thing or a bad thing? I'm new at this so it might be a dumb question. Also what brand of antenna's do you guys consider the best?

Street Wolf 07-11-2009 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Camdisco24 (Post 126451)
So... is that a good thing or a bad thing? I'm new at this so it might be a dumb question. Also what brand of antenna's do you guys consider the best?

Well, Spike was just mentioning the fact that fiberglass antennas like a Firestick can break off if cuaght on something while off roading. I was just stating the fact that the Firestick I had was able to bend almost in to a full circle and not break, when I was trying to break it after uninstalling it. :D

However if your mounting yours on the spare tire holder, it will not stick up high enough to catch on anything anyways.

Firestick is a good brand, and will work very well with what your using your CB radio for, and can be picked up at any truck stop, along with that head-unit your looking to buy as well.

However if you really want to reach out and touch someone... I'm partial to the 1/4 wave whip antenna with a bluetooth Cobra CB setup. :D

Attachment 48395

AK Rover 07-11-2009 06:58 PM

I would recommend if you want to go with a Cobra 19 go with the newest generation which is the DX IV. I personally would go with a Uniden Pro520 over the Cobra 19. The 520 is about the same size and Uniden makes a better radio.

For antenna the best option for performance is a Wilson 1000 mounted in the center of the roof. Off the tire carrier is another option with a 4 or 5 foot whip like a Firestik. Just make sure to have a spring on it. I use the same setup with the 102" whip and spring off the rear bumper (but I didn't take the time to paint mine). I can talk about 30 miles with good atmospheric conditions with my radio and antenna setup. I run a tuned Uniden PC78Elite radio.