ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

I consider myself lucky to drive a Land Rover.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I consider myself lucky to drive a Land Rover.

We all should. I recently begun a project with my brother, helping him fix up his 2000 Chrysler Sebring that our aunt gave to him (after beating on it for a few years without doing any maintenance). It currently has 6 error codes, all relating to some sort of transmission problem, and it's stuck in limp mode, permanent 2nd gear. So the first thing I did was join a Sebring forum to search for a remedy. Turns out it's one of the most common issues with these trannies, happens to almost all of them, but the problem is there's tons and tons of things that could cause it. All stupid things too. Solenoids failing, pinched wires, connections getting a little wet.

So step 1 for me, very simple, just flush the tranny fluid, change the filter, and renew with fresh ATF. Problem is, these stupid things have no drain plug. You just drop the pan and hope you don't swallow more of the fluid than what ends up on the ground. I'm no stranger to getting down and dirty, but it sure makes you appreciate the little things LR does. Even the fact that I can do the same job on the Disco without having to jack it up 2 feet in the air, really makes you appreciate it.

Honestly though, we can drive through 3 feet of water and muck all day long, drive over all sorts of boulders and rocks, and put 300,000 miles on a LR tranny and never see an issue, but god forbid you get the Chrysler a little wet the thing gets stuck in limp mode and throws 6 codes.

Sure makes you appreciate the LR

And for the record, a Disco is a thousand times sexier than that crappy little car

Name:  n747619302_923623_7768.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  46.7 KB

Old 09-09-2009, 06:08 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

After I got home from being stuck in a blizzard for 2 days to realize my water pump was putting as much coolant on the ground as was going through the engine I realized I had a very special vehicle. Not only did it not overheat but it made the remaining 500 miles of the drive without so much as a hiccup.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I remember working on my GM cars, no drain plug in the trans on them either.
Is what we would do is drill a hole in the bottom of the trans sump and put in a drain plug.
This was very helpful on plow trucks where you had to change the trans fluid alot.

And yes, working on other cars does make you really appreciate the simple things in life.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i knew a girl (my ex-wife) who in 92 bought an 89 Dynasty... not exactly a hip cool car... it had 30k on it when she got it...

first set of tires...

3rd transmission.

now, that said, I got rid of my Dodge Grand Caravan last year. 225k, never a problem.

BUT, I am sooo glad I bought my Land Rover. I've had her 2 weeks and i'm really hooked.

My wife (the one i'm still with) loves it too.

Although I did convert her to VWs from Fords and Toyotas...

Old 09-09-2009, 09:03 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Beyond technical things, I'm glad I own a LR because of the community. I have talked to multiple people in wal-mart parking lots, and I even ended up eatting at subway with a guy who also drove a disco. We were both by ourselves so why not? One of the best lunch conversations i've ever had with a then, total stranger. Not many vehicle companies have such a strong following. I've noticed that land rover ownership is more of a lifestyle, espescially to many of us on here.

That's why land rover is the only type of vehicle I've ever owned!

Old 09-10-2009, 10:37 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i am lucky because by buying the RHINO and joining this forum i met my spikeeeeepoo

Old 09-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
i am lucky because by buying the RHINO and joining this forum i met my spikeeeeepoo
tis truly the forms greatest love story

Old 09-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you two do make a cute couple

Old 09-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i feel luck as well!!! sure my headliner is a bit floppy flappy, my brakes are probably to soft, one of my horn buttons doesnt work, and i have a damn blown mid speaker in my passenger door, but hey i get to work in under a gallon of gas and look damn kool doing it. =-)

Old 09-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

i am lucky because by buying the rhino and joining this forum i met my spikeeeeepoo
You are the love of my life Joe.

Quick Reply: I consider myself lucky to drive a Land Rover.