ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

NY Catalytic Converters Need CARB Certification Starting June 1st

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
Default NY Catalytic Converters Need CARB Certification Starting June 1st

I just got this from Rock Auto. This is such ****.

Thanks Cuomo!

----------------------------------------------------------

This is a one-time message from RockAuto to help ensure you are aware that an impending New York Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) regulation requires catalytic converters purchased and/or installed in New York after June 1st be certified by the California Air Resources Board (CARB). If you need a catalytic converter for a vehicle located in New York state, then you might consider buying and installing one before June 1st to take advantage of better availability and lower costs.
Catalytic converter manufacturers such as AP, Bosal, Catco, Eastern, Walker, etc. do not yet offer CARB certified catalytic converters for many vehicle applications. Catalytic converters may meet California emissions standards but still may not have the requisite labeling, etc. that make them CARB certified.
Catalytic converters with CARB certification cost more. For example, a Walker catalytic converter without CARB certification for a 2000 Toyota Camry with California emissions currently costs $202 (at RockAuto). A CARB certified catalytic converter built by Walker for the same car costs $269. That is more than a 30% price difference. The price difference could easily exceed 100% when a CARB certified catalytic converter for a specific vehicle is only available from a car dealer.
Once again, this is a one-time message to make sure you are aware of this unique automotive regulatory change in New York. Catalytic converters for your specific vehicles are found under the “Exhaust” category at www.RockAuto.com.
We have prepared this page to help explain CARB certification further: www.rockauto.com/info/emissionsExp.html.
The New York DEC regulation is spelled out here: www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/87411.html.
Best Regards,
Tom Taylor
RockAuto.com

Old 05-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he didn't do it, Bloomberg would have. :-)

Old 05-08-2013, 03:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

How would they know? My state inspection for emissions consists of plugging into the OBD port. No codes, no problems. A mechanic can't legally use a non-CARB converter but you can install one yourself.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They don't know. Auto parts stores will be restricted from selling non certified cats. in New York.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well, I don't have a welder to install my own cats, and now after 6/1 exhaust shops here in NY won't install them.

Not to mention that no one will ship non-CARB cats to NY anymore.

Oh, and all the parts warehouses that have non-CARB cats in their inventory? They better hope their suppliers have generous buy back terms, otherwise they're screwed also.

So, now, instead of paying $55 for a CATCO 6905 and getting it welded in for a few bucks, I have to buy an entire CARB Y-Pipe for $600+. Or spend 2 hours driving to NJ and back and having a shop there do it.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by gprtech
If he didn't do it, Bloomberg would have. :-)
I can't wait until that man and all of his cronies are all out of office.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Racer X
Well, I don't have a welder to install my own cats, and now after 6/1 exhaust shops here in NY won't install them.

Not to mention that no one will ship non-CARB cats to NY anymore.

Oh, and all the parts warehouses that have non-CARB cats in their inventory? They better hope their suppliers have generous buy back terms, otherwise they're screwed also.

So, now, instead of paying $55 for a CATCO 6905 and getting it welded in for a few bucks, I have to buy an entire CARB Y-Pipe for $600+. Or spend 2 hours driving to NJ and back and having a shop there do it.
I didn't realize that they wouldn't ship non-CARB parts to New York after the law was in place. Maybe someone will ship them "for off road use only. Will a Magnaflow 34105 work? It has a 2.25 inch inlet and is 13 inches long. They are CARB compliant and go for $87.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I've had bad experiences with Magnaflow cats. The other thing is that you HAVE to use the application specific cat for your car, and not a universal cat, which means I have to use the $600 y-pipe, or the $2200 OEM pipe from Land Rover.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Pro Wrench

The OEM pipe totals the truck. If they don't crawl under and look, you can weld in the Magnaflows and as long as it doesn't throw any codes you should be fine.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:25 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This can only be another government trick at removing older less efficient vehicles from the road.