ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

Save Tellico ORV

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 04:31 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Save Tellico ORV

From the short time I've been a member on this forum I seen that a lot of LR owners like to go off-roading with the LR. There aren't many public ORVs left. They are trying to close Tellico ORV in North Carolina. Everybody please take time to join in on this online rally to save Tellico. Thanks.

www.pirate4x4.com/landuse

Old 05-27-2008, 02:48 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Save Tellico ORV

There are some local groups threatening to sue the U.S. forest service over this issue, as a matter of fact there was an article about it in my paper today, heres the link:

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pb...D=200880526045

I hope that these loud environmentalist dont get their way again, I have seen it happen time and time again around here and its sad because half the time their arguments are wrong and way extreme. As off roaders we should take the responsibility to tread lightly, we dont need to have our rec. areas taken from us to prove a point.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Save Tellico ORV

yeah man, not cool... i've loved the outdoors since i was a little kid and i was even in the boyscouts, and always whether camping or offroading leave a place better than you found it... even if its just stopping along the trail to pick up some trash that a less considerate person left behind...
________
California Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

Last edited by discoxd; 08-15-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:04 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks like we are losing the fight. They are planning on closing Tellico until 2011. I'm trying to organize a rally at the Atlanta forest service office..anybody want to join?

http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/nepa/tusquitee/tellico.htm

Old 03-31-2009, 09:34 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm afraid these kind of things are going to continue to get worse... at least for the next 4 years. Soon there will be government regulation (my favorite word) on all "environmental threats" and every 4X4 park will have to deal with it. I hope im wrong, but the type of people we have running our country right now are the ones who actaully believe that humans are to blame for the climate pattern, or im sorry, climate CHANGE. Until someone with a brain proves them wrong, I expect to see heavy environmental regulation to the fullest for the next four years, 8 if we dont learn our lesson. I'm all for "responbility is in the hand of the individual", not the government, its our job to protect our trails and tread lightly, which most rover owners are VERY aware of. Thats the message we should be spreading, and nighttrain, I wish you luck in doing so.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is really sad, I have lived in north GA all my life and been going off road from the time I was about 6 and the places I used to go and used to be able to go have pretty gone the way of the Dodo bird! No congressman or any other elected official is going to stick their baby kissing *** out on a limb against the "tree hugging" environmentalist groups that are attacking our places to "legally" ride. I'm with nitetrain, I pick up my share of trash from trails and yet some camaro sporting mullet redneck ruins it for people like us that view going "off roading" as others do golfing, I know I do, and yet places still get gated up. Anderson Creek, Rich Mountain, Tiger and now Tellico are being closed due to the so called "erosion" problems and litter, pssst give me a break people. I think there are only three areas to legally ride left in North Ga, which close for a month or two in the winter, which is fine but don't close them permantly for crying out loud. Sorry for the rant but just ticks me off that we spend a ton of money for these trucks and another ton for mods and for what, to go over the speed table at the mall? This is all irritating the hell out of me, but when every friggin carmakeri s "told" to build electric cookie cutters and the SUV goes to guzzler heaven, the tree huggin granola lovin aholes can pry the Disco wheel from my cold dead hands!!

Old 04-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I think is funny, is that most of us "off-roaders" tend to be more environmentally proactive than the so-called environmentalists. For one, most off-roaders are also campers, fishermen, hikers, etc, so we value out outdoor space. I don't just wheel, I tend to use my truck to get to places to camp, etc that allow me to explore (I ride the marked trails, so I don't start new ones).

This whole idea that the outdoors should not be explored is going to lead to more problems, not less. I grew up in the mountains, and my father is a wildlife biologist. I highly doubt that the run-of-the-mill environmentalist has near the combined outdoor experience of me and my father combined, and we both agree on this topic. What is the point of saving the outdoors when nobody can use it (aside from the ecosystem related stuff, lol). Hell, if they close them to us, they should close them to hikers, campers, backpackers, hunters, fishers, and all human interaction what-so-ever, build a 9 foot fence complete with concertina wire around the damn places. I bet those "environmentalists" would throw a damn fit over that. They just want people to do things their way, which is the american plight. We love to tell everyone else how to live, instead of figuring out how we, as individuals should live our own lives. Mind your own business, and let people be themselves. But that is impossible in a society that has an easier time looking at others, while ignoring the self.