Sights N Sounds Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for video's pertaining to Land Rovers, Range Rovers, and Freelanders.

LR3 and some "light wheeling"

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 06:21 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default LR3 and some "light wheeling"

Did a little trail exploration, thought I'd share it with the LR community.

There's one portion early on I flogged the LR3 a little bit heavy. It sure didn't feel that bad IN the truck, but seeing it on video, jeez...

Anyway, Enjoy!

Dave aka Ghan

Old 08-08-2017, 08:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Awesome! The first time you can actually get a sense of how steep that first hill is comes around the 6:15 mark. That's a sweet FJ60 with some crazy articulation. It's cool to watch your totally different driving styles as you each use the strengths of your vehicles. The LR3, as always, is slow and steady, trying to let the traction control do its thing. The FJ pours on the power and doesn't have to worry about clearance, but has kind of an "Oh Jesus" moment about 11:57. Thanks for sharing!

BTW, how high do you have your air springs? Do you ever lower the suspension when going downhill on some of those off-camber moments?

Old 08-08-2017, 11:59 AM
Winching
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Yikes, that first part looks similar (but worse) to what we did in VT for Muddy Chef. Steep rock on an already steep hill with not a lot to grip onto.

You had more ***** than me that first spirited attempt! That was a lot of air. I was so afraid of landing on something important or rolling sideways that I didn't have enough momentum the first tries. It's quite a sensation to go up at an angle like that. Loose items definitely flew around the inside when I finally got over.

I have to get out to western Mass and explore a bit more, looks fun.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:49 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by cmb6s
Awesome! The first time you can actually get a sense of how steep that first hill is comes around the 6:15 mark. That's a sweet FJ60 with some crazy articulation. It's cool to watch your totally different driving styles as you each use the strengths of your vehicles. The LR3, as always, is slow and steady, trying to let the traction control do its thing. The FJ pours on the power and doesn't have to worry about clearance, but has kind of an "Oh Jesus" moment about 11:57. Thanks for sharing!

BTW, how high do you have your air springs? Do you ever lower the suspension when going downhill on some of those off-camber moments?
Yeah, the hill is not clear in the video to start with. After the hop, that's when my wife opted to remove herself from the truck.

As for Traction control -- In the hop area I had my lockers on front and rear - but looking at the video I clearly see my center diff was definitely NOT locked. Now I'm curious what drive mode I was using there... All the other times I like to let the traction control work. It's sooo much more impressive than the old Discovery 2 was!

As for height, I have the Proud Rhino lift rods. As for lowering, no. After building and driving a Jeep TJ and a Samurai, any inclines just don't bother me in the long wheelbase of a discovery. The TJ and the Samurai would give me that pucker factor ALL the time. I do enjoy pushing the limits, and generally if the crowd begins to scream -- That's when you know you're getting close to that point of no return!

Old 08-09-2017, 05:55 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by djkronik57
Yikes, that first part looks similar (but worse) to what we did in VT for Muddy Chef. Steep rock on an already steep hill with not a lot to grip onto.

You had more ***** than me that first spirited attempt! That was a lot of air. I was so afraid of landing on something important or rolling sideways that I didn't have enough momentum the first tries. It's quite a sensation to go up at an angle like that. Loose items definitely flew around the inside when I finally got over.

I have to get out to western Mass and explore a bit more, looks fun.
I've never been able to make a Muddy Chef -- I've always got something else already on the books. Someday!

The area of the hop - I had tried a few different lines there, probably 5 or so before that pepper. I figured it'd look good and why not get it on video. That whole hill was so steep that my center cubby (where some have nav?) I had to empty and put into the console under the arm rest. That's generally my sign that I've brought the rover to somewhere special.

Dave aka Ghan

Old 08-16-2017, 01:13 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your LR3 sounds good! What did you do to it?

Old 08-17-2017, 06:02 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by edhammond
Your LR3 sounds good! What did you do to it?
I did what I like to refer to as "removing the prius sounds" -- A 4.4L V8 shouldn't be so silent. I'm not seeing the pictures on the thread properly, hopefully it's just my location blocking them or something.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...e3/#post528994

I'll be happy to answer any questions you have!

Dave aka Ghan

The following users liked this post:
edhammond (08-17-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 11:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Terrain looks similar to our local area, steep and rocky with dark red mud that stinks like dinosaur **** and clings for months.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:35 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your LR3 sounds good