Sights N Sounds Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for video's pertaining to Land Rovers, Range Rovers, and Freelanders.

Chirping noise. Exhaust or head gasket???

Old 12-22-2018, 10:21 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chirping noise. Exhaust or head gasket???

Its a discover 2 SE. With 114k miles. I recently bought it and its always giving me a head ache. The latest problem is a chirping noise from the engine on passenger side. I can see exhaust puffing out somewhere near exhaust manifold but cant pin point it. Im worried its the head gasket. Does this noise sound familiar??

https://youtu.be/DaNJFqvZllg

Old 01-06-2019, 03:10 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

I've had two cracked exhaust manifolds (01/04), and both had vertical hairline cracks between first and second cylinder ports, right hand manifold (passenger side). I've also had two engines that blew head gaskets externally and we're visible between head and block (exhaust carbon build-up along outer edge surfaces).

Now, with the cracked exhaust manifolds...the noise was usually worse cold and got slightly better or disappeared as it warmed up.

With the blown head gaskets...the noise seemed to get worse after it warmed up and mainly appeared under heavy acceleration (at first, but as they got worse...the noise would appear under light acceleration and eventually at idle).

Other area to check it the flange between exhaust manifold and y-pipe...another known failure area. Which, creates the same syptoms as a cracked manifold, worse when cold.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Brian.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:14 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
I've had two cracked exhaust manifolds (01/04), and both had vertical hairline cracks between first and second cylinder ports, right hand manifold (passenger side). I've also had two engines that blew head gaskets externally and we're visible between head and block (exhaust carbon build-up along outer edge surfaces).

Now, with the cracked exhaust manifolds...the noise was usually worse cold and got slightly better or disappeared as it warmed up.

With the blown head gaskets...the noise seemed to get worse after it warmed up and mainly appeared under heavy acceleration (at first, but as they got worse...the noise would appear under light acceleration and eventually at idle).

Other area to check it the flange between exhaust manifold and y-pipe...another known failure area. Which, creates the same syptoms as a cracked manifold, worse when cold.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Brian.
should have posted this a while ago, but turns out it was the head gasket was blowing out on the passenger side. finally got worse enough for me to actually see exhaust gas puff out the side of the engine. i'm getting the disco gasket service kit installed and then selling the disco. its too much of a project car for me, but dam its a sexy car.