Sights N Sounds Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for video's pertaining to Land Rovers, Range Rovers, and Freelanders.

Odd sound and electric oddities

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 02:53 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd sound and electric oddities

Please see or rather HEAR the attached video. With the engine off somewhere from under the engine fuse box there is a slight repetitive ticking sound. It is constant and the only time it stops is if I disconnect the battery.

I have never noticed this before if it is normal and the reason I noticed now is that I have some really odd things happening all of a sudden. Here's the storyline and hopefully someone can help me as I am totally stumped!...

Yesterday, when I stopped at an auto parts store I decided to get the codes read. I have used this stores reader before without any problem. After plugging in the reader it started to read the codes and then I wanted to go back in a re-read them so I could video tape the codes BUT this time when I started the process of reading the codes I kept getting the read of "Connect reader to vehicle". I tried 3 or 4 more times. I had never removed the connector. I did remove it and tried reseating it and no matter what I did it kept giving me the same message... So I figured no big deal and took the reader back and started home.

On the way home I noticed the radio would not power on. Then noticed no interior lights. Then another mile I notice the engine running rough and then the Service Engine light was blinking! Also noticed a slight loss of power and when looking under the hood noticed everything was really hot. The temp gauge in the dash never went higher than normal and the coolant reservoir was full. Even took off the oil fill cap to put a quart in and some slight smoke came out.

What I have done so far is to check every single fuse (all in the fuse box in the engine compartment, under the dash and under both seats - IF THERE is more somewhere else please let me know) with a tester. Disconnected and re-connected the radio amp (aftermarket), the code reader port, battery, some electric connections I could easily reach.

Sorry, this is kinda long but I am super frustrated and the worst part is the engine! I am really sure the engine issues are electrical. This all happened at the same time and with the code reader - maybe it did something to the computer??? But then why no power???

Thanks!