Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

D1 Hella 4000 install question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 06:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question D1 Hella 4000 install question

Bottom line up front: I want to swap the included hella wire harness switch for the previously functional and illuminated stock fog light switch.

I've read the instructions (minimal) and looked at the wiring diagrams on dweb. I'm electrically challenged and I haven't found a write-up that utilizes stock fog light switch and the Hella wiring harness. I removed the stock bumper fog lights, but left the wiring and switches in place. Here's what I'm thinking so far.

The harness itself is very nice. Probably overpriced, but again...I'm electrically challenged so I'm glad for the peace of mind. All the engine bay wiring looks pretty easy.

My question is at the switch: I'm going to remove the switch provided with the harness. Can I just use a wire tap to connect the green wire from the Hella relay (relay-to-switch) into the wire coming from pin 4 on the stock fog light switch? That way the fog switch is powered and grounded, and will control the lights?

Thank you! Hope to get the lights wired up tomorrow afternoon.

rkb

Discoweb write-up: http://www.discoweb.org/lights/v22hella.jpg
Crappy iPhone pic of Hella instructions:

Attached Thumbnails D1 Hella 4000 install question-img_3246_zpsa793fc6d.jpg   D1 Hella 4000 install question-proposedplan_zpsd8e41e98.jpg  

Last edited by keoni004; 01-07-2013 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Changed pic
Old 01-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Are you keeping stock fog lights or not? If not, then just wire the 4000's off the fog light harness as it should already have a relay and everything you need.

If you want to use the new harness, consider using just the relay part to the lights. Disconnect the Hella switch and the thin gauge leads between the switch and relay. Pull the fog light switch leads at the fog light relay and connect them to your new relay(s) instead. In one fashion or another you want to make all the relays you decide to use work off the existing fog light switch and the leads already coming from the dash. There's no reason to run new leads through the firewall and make the junction at the dash unless you're adding an additional switch, right? So do all your junctioning at the relay terminals.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:38 PM
Winching

Wire taps suck. Connect your stuff at the relay terminals, not along the wire. If you need a single lead from the switch to control more than one relay, then run it to a terminal junction that has jumpers to each relay. For the terminals, you can use ring terminals or blades or a terminal block. Anything is better than wire taps.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:43 PM
Winching

If you want to avoid a terminal block or ring terminals, these work better than taps:

If you already have blades on the harness you can use adapters like these:

Attached Thumbnails D1 Hella 4000 install question-a20792012c65257e28f9b2_l.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2013, 07:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Wow, thank you for clarifying!

And to clarify my end...I'm ditching the fog lights. They're already off and gone, switch is still wired up.

Last edited by keoni004; 01-07-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

From what I understand the stock fog light wiring isn't up to the task of running 100W bulbs like the 4000's have. I have been told to use nothing over 55W with the stock wiring.
Plus, using the stock wiring will mean your 4000's will only work when the truck is on and turn off when your hit your high beams. No thanks.

Its really easy to just wire your 4000's fresh with the Hella harness or individual wires. pushing wire through the firewall is really easy, there's already a grommet there. Connect the stock Fog switch to your Hella wiring with butt splices. I get all the power straight from my battery. That gives me total control over when my lights are on/off.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:31 PM
Rock Crawling

Damn...lost my post with a crash.

Anyway, thank you for the input Fish. I ended up going with my original plan to use the stock fog switch. I had read about issues using stock harnesses with accessory lights, so wanted to relay it to be on the safe side. Used the harness as is up front, removed their included switch, ran the wire from the relay and tapped into power at pin 4 of the OEM fog. It's clean...illuminates when on...and it works. Downside is that the 4000's only work when headlights are on, and are cancelled by high-beams, like you said.

I also connected them to the parking lights, which is honestly kind of annoying. I don't see that connection lasting more than about a week. Not only do they work with the parking light setting, but the accessory lamp of the 4000's is turned on whenever the headlights are engaged.

But for now, it works which is a huge victory for me and my lack of experience with "real" electrical work. In the near future I see myself running my own wires to a terminal block like binvanna mentioned.

Using the Hella harness was a baby step for me before I dive into it for-real-for-reals. So if there's anyone else in the same boat as me, it's easy enough to just swap the harness switch for the stock fogs.