Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Replacement Woofers for Rear Door factory sub no mods needed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 07:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replacement Woofers for Rear Door factory sub no mods needed.

I posted this in the Discovery II technical section and hope I didn't post in the wrong place so I am reposting in the audio section where it probably belonged. Ok, I admit I'm very picky when it comes to car audio, I expect, and want the best sound surrounding me, it's part of the driving experiencce. Having been spoiled by the Harmon Kardon systems in my Benz's, I needed to find something for my 2003 Disco HSE to get me "close", and I have.
I literally just finished installing a pair of 6.5" dedicated component woofers into the rear door HK housing and when I say exact fit, they are 100% compatible with the housing for this particular Sub. No modification whatsoever. The sound is simply night and day. My next venture is changing out the front and passenger main speakers with new fitments. The door and pilar tweeters are excellent so I plan on leaving well alone. My intention being leaving the stock hi line Becker traffic pro system as is and update the woofers only. That's my preference as my C300 comes out of hibernation soon.
I wanted to share this as I have read alot of mods people have done to fit various brand name in the stock housing, others building extensions in the door panel, etc, but for those of you wishing to maintain the stock appearance and obtain superb bass as designed, these woofers are the answer. See pics attached, one of them shows the model of the JL woofers which I bought on Ebay through JL audio. The other photo shows stepwise fitment. Took all of 45 minutes from open to close and half of that was wiring up the new woofers with post. I used the oem harness male and female. Hope this helps any of you interested who have the rear door subwoofer system in your rig.

Attached Thumbnails Replacement Woofers for Rear Door factory sub no mods needed.-sw1.png   Replacement Woofers for Rear Door factory sub no mods needed.-sw2.png   Replacement Woofers for Rear Door factory sub no mods needed.-sw3.png   Replacement Woofers for Rear Door factory sub no mods needed.-sw4.png  

Last edited by cimomd; 04-08-2015 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:45 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Thanks for sharing this. I've needed new ones for...ever.

The following users liked this post:
cimomd (04-04-2015)
Old 04-04-2015, 11:49 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Thanks for sharing this. I've needed new ones for...ever.
Anytime, they also fit the 4 door housing for the 6.5" component woofers. IMO the midrange and tweeters in these are more durable than the old style paper woofers that are in the stock system. My subwoofer 6.5's were literally shredded away from the margin of the frame flapping in the wind...these JL audio's are worth every cent trust me.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

As we're mine. I just removed them. Time for replacements.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:24 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need your opinion

cimond, I'm convinced you are an expert in stereos and would like to ask you a few questions. In my 2003 Discovery SE, I'm wanting to replace the 4 original door speakers with Kicker 41DSC654 (240 watts / RMS Power 60 watts). I'm expecting better sound but actually only hoping because I don't know anything about ohm, watts, etc. These 4 replacements are $100. which is great for my budget.

Also are there any weird speaker connectors inside the doors or just regular speaker connectors?

I'm also wanting to replace the original stereo with a Pioneer DEHX5700.

Your thoughts? And thanks for your help and experience.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

could you please post the model number of them, I looked through the pics but didn't see it.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:00 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Southern Bawb
cimond, I'm convinced you are an expert in stereos and would like to ask you a few questions. In my 2003 Discovery SE, I'm wanting to replace the 4 original door speakers with Kicker 41DSC654 (240 watts / RMS Power 60 watts). I'm expecting better sound but actually only hoping because I don't know anything about ohm, watts, etc. These 4 replacements are $100. which is great for my budget.

Also are there any weird speaker connectors inside the doors or just regular speaker connectors?

Your thoughts? And thanks for your help and experience.
Firstly, the speakers in the door are coomponent speakers, meaning the woofer is a 1 way unit and each door has a mid range with a tweeter in each front window upright, main thing you need to have for the woofer replacement is 1. correct impedence, they need to be 4 ohm woofers, and 2. they need to fit the door cutout for the original speakers size. I believe depth is about 3 1/4" - 3 1/2" and many dedicated woofers are deeper than that. That is why I personally went with the JL audio woofers but your kickers may also work, just make sure they are the rigth depth. There is a website I believe metra electronics puts out that gives you fitment guides for all car makes and models for replacemetn needs, your audio supplier should be able to help you with that. Good luck. I replaced all woofers in my '03 Disco with the JL audio C2 6.5" (2 in rear door and 1 each in the 4 doors up front) and the sound is night and day, exactly what I was lookiing for. With regards to your head unit replacement, single DIN are going to be an easier fitment for a replacement with less fiddling around with wiring. 2 metra kits and you are set.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:53 AM
Overlanding

Thanks cimomd

cimomd (02-17-2016)
Old 05-11-2015, 07:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Southern Bawb

To answer your question about the speaker connections, there are plug in connections on the woofers on the doors. The speakers(6.5") in the back two doors are wired in parallel, and the plugs have 4 wires in the plug. two of the wires come from the amp, the other two go to the other speaker in the door. In the front doors the woofers have a plug also, just two wires coming from them. You have to either cut the connectors or tap into the wires, just make sure you get the polarity right.

Replacing the oem with the pioneer you are looking at should be no problem, You will need the Metra 70-1786 for the stereo to hook up to oem wiring harness, and the PAC SWI-RC module to retain the steering wheel controls. If you are going to add an amp and want Bluetooth, you might consider the DEH-x6700BS, because it has 3 sets of rca instead of two, 1 set for sub, 1 set for front, 1 set for rear.

Also make sure any speaker you use to replace the oem speakers are 4 ohm.

Last edited by Joemamma1954; 05-11-2015 at 07:25 PM.
JUKE179r (07-25-2017)
Old 05-12-2015, 07:32 PM
Overlanding

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Quick Reply: Replacement Woofers for Rear Door factory sub no mods needed.